Consultation status: closed 7 March 2017
We are proposing to make the following changes on The Parade in Bucklands Beach:
- Add a new pedestrian pathway on the seaward side of the road, separated from vehicle traffic by timber sleepers.
- Install new no stopping at all times restrictions on the landward (eastern) side of the road.
- Add new road markings.
- Install a new road sign.
Why the changes are needed
The Howick Local Board wishes to improve pedestrian safety along the seaward side of The Parade by providing a pedestrian pathway in the vicinity of the rock seawall, where it is currently impossible for pedestrians to pass parked vehicles without walking on the road. This will be achieved by removing some car parking spaces on the landward side of the road to provide the space needed for a pathway on the seaward side of the road.
There will be new road markings added in order to retain the parking spaces on the seaward side of the road.
New no stopping at all times restrictions on the landward side are necessary as a result of the new road layout. This will result in the removal of 10-11 parking spaces, which is less than would be lost if parking were removed from the seaward side.
These restrictions will also improve visibility for residents exiting their driveways.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Concern about loss of parking spaces on landward side of the road. In order to improve safety for pedestrians on the seaward side of the road, some parking on the landward side of the road can be removed.
- Concern that access for the maintenance truck may be impeded. The proposed project does not impede access to Stormwater infrastructure by maintenance trucks.
- Request to extend the walkway further southward. At this stage, the project focuses only on the section of The Parade outlined in the drawing sent in February.
- Concern that the project does not address seawall erosion. The seawall is being monitored by the AT Assets team and repairs are carried out as and when required.
- Concern about the drop from the pathway at low-tide and large waves at high-tide. Thank you for your feedback. Your concerns have been noted and will be considered as part of any future design changes. Please note that the footpath on the landward side of the road will be still be useable if beachside conditions appear unsafe.
- Request for additional works including speed bumps, pedestrian crossings, one-way traffic on The Parade, and projects on other roads. These works are outside the scope of this project and can be considered as separate projects by the Howick Local Board at a later stage.
We expect to introduce this work June to mid July 2017, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.