Proposal status: Feedback closed 1 July 2020. Last updated 25 February 2021.
Reference number: RSU1920-143
In June 2020, we proposed to upgrade the existing crossing to a raised zebra crossing outside 340 Blockhouse Bay, Avondale. After reviewing all the feedback, we are proceeding with the work as proposed. These works will help support our Vision Zero goal.
What happens next
We anticipate the changes will be constructed in the next financial year, between July 2021 and June 2022. We will be in touch with local residents and business prior to any construction taking place.
Thank you for helping us make better decisions for your neighbourhood, informed by your local knowledge. A summary of your feedback and our responses to community questions is below.
- Request for speed bumps to be installed in Miranda Street as many road users are not aware of children walking and crossing the road.
Traffic calming measures in Miranda Street are outside of the scope of this project, however Miranda Street has been referred to the team handling local area traffic management projects to consider for priority alongside the other projects already in their programme.
- Concerns over the removal of 5 parking spaces due to limited parking in the area.
While we acknowledge that the loss of these parking spaces will push parking slightly further away from the school gate, we consider that there is sufficient parking available further along Blockhouse Bay Road and in local side streets to meet the demand.
- Request for improvements to be made at the junction of Blockhouse Bay and Margate Road over safety concerns for all pedestrians, including young school children.
Unfortunately, we cannot action this request as it is not within the scope of this project, however it has been referred to the minor safety programme for further consideration.
We're proposing changes in your area
We are proposing to install a raised zebra crossing outside 340 Blockhouse Bay Road, Avondale. This proposal responds to an investigation regarding the safety of children walking to and from Glenavon School. These changes aim to improve road safety by encouraging slower speeds and to make it safer to cross the road.
We are proposing to:
- upgrade the zebra crossing to a raised platform level with the footpath to provide a safe place for people to cross the road;
- extend the broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) in order to improve visibility on the approach to the crossing, removing 5 parking spaces;
- repair the footpath and install tactile pavers which are yellow guidance paving markers to help visually impaired people to find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road;
- extend the high friction road surface to help slow driver speed as they approach the crossing.
Avondale: Safe with us
Auckland Transport cares for your safety. We want to make our roads safe for everyone, people walking and cycling, especially for our kids and senior citizens and people driving. Projects like this one around Blockhouse Bay Road are another step towards our goal of achieving no deaths or serious injuries on our roads. We are guided by the Vision Zero approach to transport safety, which prioritises human safety over other measures (like minor time saving).