Consultation status: closed 20 April 2018
Proposal reference: RS1718-UI-28
We are proposing to make upgrades to the intersection of Bruce McLaren Road and Railside Avenue, that will include:
- Installation of high friction surfacing and a 'SLOW' pavement message marking along the northbound lane on Bruce McLaren Road on approach to the railroad tracks.
- Tightening of the right hand bend by building out the kerb outside number 3 Bruce McLaren Road.
- Installation of a new side island on Railside Avenue to clarify the priority of the intersection.
- Installation of a new pedestrian refuge island, pram crossings, and tactile pavers.
- Changes to road markings and signage.
Why the changes are needed
The Bruce McLaren Road and Railside Avenue Intersection has been identified as one of the urban intersections for investigation, with a number of accidents reported in recent years.
Crash reports indicate that many of the accidents can be attributed to issues with speed, poor handling, and poor observation. Our observations show that confusion over priority rules at this intersection may magnify existing issues.
This proposal aims to better guide road users through the intersection and to clarify existing priority rules.