Consultation status: closed 24 March 2017
We are proposing the following changes:
1) Delta Avenue in New Lynn (between Hugh Brown Drive and Veronica Street):
- Reduce the extent of the existing No stopping at all times restrictions (broken yellow lines) on Delta Avenue between Hugh Brown Drive and Veronica Street.
- Install new No stopping at all times restrictions on Delta Avenue adjacent to Reid Avenue.
2) Install new No stopping at all times restrictions at the following locations on Delta Avenue (between Bentinck Street and Stock Street):
- Delta Avenue at the intersection with Bentinck Street.
- The southern side of Delta Avenue between Bentinck Street and Crum Avenue.
- At the Delta Avenue-Crum Avenue intersection.
- The northern side of Delta Avenue between Crum Avenue and Stock Street.
Why the changes are needed
Delta Avenue between Hugh Brown Drive and Veronica Street.
- Parking demand in the area is high and removing some restrictions on Delta Avenue will provide on-street parking for residents, businesses and visitors.
- New broken yellow lines are proposed at the Delta Avenue-Reid Road intersection to improve accessibility and to provide more space for turning vehicles.
- The proposed changes provide more on-street parking and improve safety at the intersections.
Delta Avenue between Bentinck Street and Stock Street.
- Delta Avenue, Bentinck Street, Crum Avenue and Stock Street experience large volumes of traffic during peak hours and are used as run routes by vehicles travelling between Rata Street and Great North Road.
- Cars parked on both sides of Delta Avenue are causing visibility and accessibility issues especially for heavy vehicles servicing the commercial premises along this road.
Download the consultation plans:
- Consultation drawing for Delta Avenue New Lynn - Northern section (PDF 454KB)
- Consultation drawing for Delta Avenue New Lynn - Southern section (PDF 222KB)
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
Concern the loss of parking will affect businesses. The section of Delta Avenue between Bentinck Street and Stock Street is narrow. The proposed parking restrictions will provide better accessibility and assist vehicles travelling in opposite directions to safely pass by. The removal of parking from the one side of the road will also assist trucks when turning. Although some parking will be removed from directly outside the businesses, more parking is provided on the southern end of Delta Road. Customers and staff are encouraged to utilise these on-street parking spaces.
Delta Avenue is too narrow for parking on both sides of the road. The wider sections of Delta Road are approximately 12m wide. Parking on both sides of the road will allow approximately 8m for vehicles to get through. This is adequate for two vehicles travelling in opposite directions to safely pass by.
Request to restrict heavy vehicles from using Delta Avenue. There are a number of commercial and industrial premises on Delta Road which cause heavy vehicles to be using the road. Banning heavy vehicles from using Delta Avenue would affect these businesses as there is not an alternate route for trucks to use.
Request for time restricted parking on Crum Avenue, Stock Street and Bentinck Street. Parking spaces on these streets are mostly used by staff working at nearby businesses and commuters catching the train, and are usually occupied during the day. Time restricted parking may improve the parking turnover however, it would be an inconvenience for businesses and commuters.
Request for no stopping restrictions either side of driveways. Parking within one metre of a vehicle crossing or driveway is illegal. We will only consider installing road markings on either side of the driveway where there is a regular history of enforcement action which indicates the need to take additional measures. If you notice a vehicle is parked within one metre of this vehicle crossing and blocking access, please call 09 355 3553 with the details of the vehicle.
Request for additional works including a new parking building, a roundabout at the Binstead Road/Veronica Street intersection and reviewing the Stormwater drains. If you would like your request to be considered for future development works, please provide feedback here.
We expect to introduce this work throughout 2017/2018, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will notify all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.