Consultation status: closed 26 April 2018
Proposal reference: BYL-230
We are proposing to extend the broken yellow lines ('No stopping at all times' restrictions) on Glengarry Road, at the curve in the road outside 275 Glengarry Road.
Why the changes are needed
These changes are needed to improve the safety of Glengarry Road. Drivers have limited visibility due to the parked cars at the curve on the Glengarry Road and this is a concern as the drivers have to cross over the centre line due to limited space and sight distance.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed with changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
- Request to extend broken yellow lines to just past 261 Glengarry Rd to improve visibility around the bend as cars are reported to travel fast in both directions at this location. Our assessment has concluded that extension of parking restriction to 261 Glengarry Rd would be beneficial at this location and we propose to install a ‘no stopping at all times’ restriction.
- Request to have Broken Yellow Lines introduced at the bend near 170 Glengarry Rd has similar issues reported with vehicles and buses crossing the centre line. Our site observation showed that there are already No Stopping at All Times parking restriction at this location, which enhance the safety of the this horizontal curve by increasing visibility for motorists. While parked vehicles may reduce the traffic, these same parked vehicles tend to discourage drivers from speeding as cars parked on either side of the road give drivers the impression of a narrow road, encouraging greater care when driving.
- Request to extend Broken Yellow Lines in both directions, including as far as 161 Glengarry Rd. Respondent reports that cars don't frequently park at the location of the proposed Broken Yellow Lines but that parking restrictions are still required along this street. Respondent reports serious issues with cars and buses crossing the centre line to navigate along the road. Our site observation showed that there are already No Stopping at All Times parking restriction at this location 161 Glengarry Rd, which enhance the safety of the this horizontal curve by increasing visibility for motorists. While parked vehicles may reduce the traffic, these same parked vehicles tend to discourage drivers from speeding as cars parked on either side of the road give drivers the impression of a narrow road, encouraging greater care when driving.
- Request to assess other bends on Glengarry Rd for further parking restrictions. Glengarry Road will be monitored and investigated.
- Request for additional works include:
- Request for a cycle lane on Glengarry Rd to narrow the road, slow down traffic and promote cycling in the western suburbs.
- Request for speed hump near the bend at 261 Glengarry Rd to slow traffic.
These requests are out of scope for this proposal which focuses on Broken yellow lines at Glengarry Road, Glen Eden. If you would like your request to be considered by us for future development works, please provide feedback here.
We expect to introduce this work between July 2018 and June 2019, subject to further changes in design or funding issues.
Contractors will issue 48-hour notices to all affected residents prior to construction work.