Luanda Drive and Armada Drive, Ranui – Raised pedestrian Luanda Drive and Armada Drive, Ranui – Raised pedestrian
Proposal status: Feedback open until 14 April 2023
Reference number: SSM2122-015
We’re proposing improvements in your area
We are proposing to improve pedestrian safety by installing two separate raised zebra crossings along Luanda Drive and Armada Drive in Ranui.
This proposal would provide safer crossing facilities for pedestrians, especially school children, people visiting the church and mosque, and customers of the nearby shops. The changes would also support the speed limit reductions on roads near Birdwood School.
We are proposing to:
- Install a raised zebra crossing outside 106 Luanda Drive. This is a zebra crossing on a wide speed bump.
- Install a raised zebra crossing with long off ramps at 35 Armada Drive, outside Ranui Pacific Island Church. This zebra crossing would have a raised pedestrian refuge island in the middle to improve safety for crossing pedestrians.
- Install tactile pavers at new crossing points. These are yellow guidance paving markers that help visually impaired people find their way to the crossing and safely cross the road.
- Install belisha beacons by the crossings. These are flashing globe lamps which warn motorists they are approaching a pedestrian crossing, especially at night.
- Paint broken yellow lines (no stopping at all times) near the crossings to prevent parked vehicles from blocking visibility of crossing pedestrians for approaching motorists.
- Widen the footpath near the crossings to join its edges to the ramp.
- Paint new road markings and install advance warning signage so oncoming motorists know they are approaching a raised crossing.
Download Luanda Drive and Armada Drive proposal drawing (PDF 2.22MB).
This project in Ranui contributes to Tāmaki Makaurau’s Vision Zero goal as it would:
- Reduce driver speeds and prioritise the safety of pedestrians, especially school children, who are trying to cross the road.
- Raise pedestrians crossing the road to be at eye level of approaching motorists, making them easier to see from a distance.
- Provide easier and more convenient crossings for people with prams and wheelchairs as both crossings will be level with the footpath.
This proposal would result in the removal of 9 on street parking spaces along Luanda Drive, and 7 on Armada Drive. We understand that removing parking can be inconvenient, so we have minimised the removal as much as possible, while ensuring that pedestrians waiting to cross the road would be visible to approaching motorists.
What happens next
- We’ll consider all the feedback we receive, and then decide the best way to move forward.
- We’ll post the outcome of this proposal and a summary of community feedback on this webpage.
- We can email you the proposal outcome as soon as it’s ready – just select that option when you fill in the survey.
- This proposal is supported with funding from the Auckland regional fuel tax.
Ranui: Safe with us
This project supports Tāmaki Makaurau’s commitment to Vision Zero, an ambitious transport safety vision, with the goal of no deaths or serious injuries on our transport system by 2050. This approach acknowledges that as people we all make mistakes, however, a mistake should not mean someone dies or is seriously injured on our roads. It’s also an approach that values everyone using the road, not just those in vehicles.