Consultation status: closed 6 October 2017
Proposal reference: BYL-167
We are proposing to make minor improvements to the intersection of Seymour Road, Benita Place and Rosandich Drive in Sunnyvale, including removal of some on street parking. Changes include:
- Broken yellow lines on all corners and approaches to the intersection and the northern side of Benita Pl, including the cul-de-sac.
- A new Give-Way traffic control on Benita Pl that clarifies right-of-way turning movements.
These changes aim to ensure safer driving conditions on Seymour Road, Benita Place and Rosandich Drive. Cars parked near this intersection are preventing drivers from seeing oncoming traffic. Those parked on both sides of Benita Pl are causing access issues for rubbish trucks and emergency vehicles.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received positive feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Requests to retain more on-street parking north of the intersection on Seymour Rd or to install a bay of short-term car parks for the use of those dropping off outbound train passengers. Respondents reported the inconvenience they experienced when they wanted to walk from the train station carparks to the outbound platform. Whilst our proposal aims to minimise the removal of on-street parking, the parking restrictions north of the intersection of Seymour Rd are required to bring the pair of bus stops located here up to standard. AT’s new standard determines that cars cannot park within 9 meters of a bus stop to ensure that buses have enough space and visibility to safely enter and depart the stopping bay. Because the car park location near the Sunnyvale station is adequate for train users, requests for additional parking areas will not be incorporated in our plans.
- Request for “hockey stick” markings on Seymour Rd to define appropriate parking spaces and prevent parked cars obstructing driver visibility near driveways. AT avoids using hockey stick markings to define parking spaces unless an established pattern of illegal parking exists. Given it is already illegal to park within one metre of a driveway, we recommend regularly reporting prohibited parking to our enforcement call centre, which operates 24 hours, 7 days a week. For general parking queries and reports, please call 09 355 3553.
- Request for a residents only parking scheme on Benita Place to ensure the availability of on-street parking for residents and visitors, which will be further limited by the proposed parking restrictions. This request is outside the scope of this proposal as this proposal specifically addresses road safety and visibility issues on Seymour Rd and Benita Pl. If you would like AT to consider changes to parking management in this area, please give feedback on our website.
We expect to introduce this work in the 2017/2018 financial year, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will notify all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.