Consultation status: closed 21 March 2017
We are proposing the following changes on Swanson Road:
- Implementing a 40 km/h speed limit on Swanson Road in the area near Waitakere College. This change will apply to the section of road between the two electronic speed signs shown in the consultation plan and will be limited to the following times on school days: 7.55am – 8.30am, 3pm – 3.20pm and for 10 minutes when at least 50 children are crossing the road, entering or leaving vehicles at the roadside.
- Installing speed limit signs at the locations shown in the consultation plan.
Why the changes are needed
Investigations indicate that there is a high number of pedestrians using the existing refuge island crossing on Swanson Road behind Waitakere College. Pedestrians find it difficult to cross Swanson Road due to the high volume and high speeds of approaching vehicles.
Implementing a 40 km/h speed zone on both approaches to the crossing point will make the environment safer by reducing vehicle speeds and raising driver awareness of the presence of pedestrians.
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
The proposal received mixed feedback with some concerns raised by respondents. After reviewing this feedback and all other supporting evidence, the proposal will proceed without changes to the next stage of detailed planning.
Specific feedback and proposed solution
- Questions regarding the coverage of the speed limit zone i.e. crossing points on Frank Evans Place, crossing between the train station and Rathgar Road intersection and extending to the corner of Sturges Road. The proposed school speed zone will cover the existing pedestrian island on Frank Evans Place where students exit the corner gate at the back of Waitakere College. However, the extension of the zone to the corner of Sturges Road (encompassing an existing refuge island) would not be recommended as the maximum length of a 40km/h school speed zone is 500m. Extending the zone would create a speed zone of over 1km which is not appropriate. We will carry out a separate investigation to see if a 40km/h school zone is warranted at this location.
- Request to extend the hours of operation. We not able to extend the hours of operation as the NZTA guidelines require that the hours of operation align with school activities – 35mins before the start of school until the start of school, 20mins at the end of school commencing no earlier than 5mins before the end of school and 10mins at any other time of day when children cross the road, enter or leave vehicles at the roadside.
- Recommendation to advice Police of changes and use enforcement to increase compliance. We will be advising NZ Police of these changes to the area and will request enforcement to be carried out.
- Request to install raised table where existing refuge island is. Due to the road being a bus route and an arterial route, which will include heavy vehicles, it would not be appropriate to install a speed table at this location.
- Suggestion to reduce proposed speed limit further and use of Broken Yellow Lines (BYLs) to encourage cycling. Unfortunately, NZTA rules only allow us to install school zones with 40km/h speed limits. Furthermore, we will forward your suggestion for BYLs to the appropriate department for their attention as this needs to be considered within the wider cycling network.
We expect to introduce this work starting July 2017 and throughout 2017/18, subject to any further changes in design or funding issues. Contractors will issue 48-hour notice to all residents in the area prior to starting construction work.