Media Release: 23 May 2011
Longer trains are being added to the rail network to help cater for the increasing popularity of Auckland’s public transport, which was up eight per cent for the year to 30 April.
From 17 July trains will use five and six carriages on the southern line, following the completion of platform extension works. Six carriage trains began operating on the Western Line last September. Longer trains allow more passengers on each service.
About 5.31 million trips were made on public transport in April, up 3.9 per cent on April 2010. For the 12 months to the end of April, patronage was up 8 per cent on the previous year to 64.78 million.
Other highlights of public transport patronage include:
- Northern Express bus passenger numbers for the 12 months to the end of April topped two million. For the month of April there were 172,187 trips, an increase of 9.6 per cent on April 2010.
- Total bus patronage was 50.5 million. Not including the Northern Express, bus patronage was 48.55 million during the past 12 months, an extra 3.17 million trips or seven per cent.
- Rail patronage reached 9.5 million for the past 12 months, an increase of 14.2 per cent on the previous 12 months. Passenger numbers for the month of April were 821,363 up 12.7 per cent on April 2010.
- Ferry patronage totalled 4.71 million for the 12 months to 30 April, up 4.3 per cent on the previous year.
With the increase in patronage in March and April extra bus services have also been introduced to provide more capacity. They include:
- More buses brought in to provide additional trips on Mt Eden Rd during peak times, and Dominion Rd and the Long Bay to Newmarket 881 route during evening peak.
- Northern Express frequency increases, including a three minute frequency (up from five minutes) between 7am-8am from Albany and five minute frequency shoulder peak (up from 10 minutes). Services also began starting earlier and finishing, including evening services running to midnight from Monday to Thursday and to 3am on Friday and Saturday.
April public transport patronage
Click on the icon below to see the expanded view.
Read the full April public transport patronage report.