Auckland Transport extends Northern Express bus services
21 April 2011
As public transport continues to grow in popularity, in addition to other public transport initiatives announced recently to manage increasing demand, Auckland Transport, with its operator Ritchies, is boosting the Northern Express bus service with additional buses.
More buses will run during peak hours and night time services have been extended.
From May 2, buses will leave Albany Station every five minutes between 6.30am to 9.30am and from Britomart every five minutes between 3pm and 6.30pm. Additional services will operate at peak times.
Friday and Saturday night time schedules have also been extended to give late night workers and revellers more options to get home.
Auckland Transport’s Manager Transport Public Operations Mark Lambert says increasing bus patronage and rising petrol prices have taken passenger numbers to record levels.
“Customers are happy with the service and we are pleased more people are taking the bus, however patronage has grown faster than we anticipated, putting pressure on existing bus services.”
Passenger numbers on the Northern Express bus service on the North Shore were 20.7 per cent up in just one year, with 1.99 million passenger trips for the year.
“The improvements and increased frequency of buses will alleviate overcrowding allowing people to get to their destination faster, easier and in more comfort.
“This is a great response from Ritchies in a short amount of time arranging more buses and we expect our customers to be very pleased with the good news,” said Mr Lambert.
Changes to the bus schedule are listed below:
Monday to Friday:
- Service commences 5.30am ex Albany (currently 5.45am).
- Service commences 6.00am ex Britomart (currently 6.30am).
- Service frequency increase ex Albany to 3 minutes 7.00am to 8.00am School term only (currently 4-5 minutes).
- Service frequency increase ex Albany to 5 minutes from 6.30am to 7.00am (currently 10 minutes).
- Service frequency increase ex Britomart to 5 minutes 3.00pm to 4.00pm (currently 10 minutes).
- Service frequency increase ex Britomart to 3 minutes 5.00pm to 5.45pm School term only (currently 4-5 minutes).
- Service span increase Monday to Thursday - last service 12.00am ex Britomart. Service will operate every 15 minutes with last service 12 midnight from Britomart (1130 Albany).
Friday and Saturday evenings:
- Increase in service span – last service 3.00 am ex Britomart (2.30am ex Albany).
- Friday night – 15 minute frequency until 12.00am midnight ex Britomart then every 30 minutes until 3.00am (2.30am ex Albany).
- Saturday night – 30 minute frequency until 3.00am ex Britomart (currently ends 11.00pm) (2.30am ex Albany).