- A public consultation on the proposed Auckland Transport project got more than 560 responses and the results will be released soon
- A Detailed Business Case is being advanced to secure funding for the improvement project
Auckland Transport (AT) received 563 submissions during its public consultation about improvements along Lake and Esmonde roads, between Takapuna and the Devonport peninsula.
Results of the consultation – conducted in 2021 – are expected to be made public in May or June this year and will outline what final designs and decisions have been made based in part on this consultation.
An artist’s impression of Lake Road improvements at Hauraki Corner
Meanwhile a Detailed Business Case (DBC) has been completed. This detailed business case outlines the reasons for investing in improvements to Lake Road, Esmonde Road (which provides a critical transport link between Lake Road and State Highway 1 (SH1) and Bayswater Avenue (which connects Lake Road to the Bayswater Ferry terminal). Its preferred option calls for:
- A mix of new and re-purposed transit lanes (for higher occupancy vehicles and public transport)
- Physically protected cycle lanes
- Safer pedestrian crossings
- Safer intersections
- Technology solutions to improve available trip information
These improvements will give people more opportunity to make shorter trips safely on foot or by bike, or by bus or carpooling, and will free up road space for people who need to drive.
Lake Road is the only arterial road in and out of the Devonport peninsula and, alongside Esmonde Road, serves as the main connection to the rest of the North Shore and Auckland for people living and working in the area.
Around half of all Lake Road journeys are short trips that stay within the peninsula, with a high proportion of the trips being made in single-occupancy vehicles.
Auckland Transport’s board has approved the Lake Road project and will be applying for funding from Waka Kotahi-NZ Transport Agency.
For more information, visit our Lake road improvements page.
Contact: Mike Johansson, North Hub Senior Communications Partner at firstname.lastname@example.org