Auckland Transport offers discounted fares for secondary school students with an AT HOP card.
Who can get the secondary student child discount for 16 to 19 year olds
- Full-time secondary students that are 16 to 19 years of age are eligible for HOP child fares if they have a secondary student concession loaded on their AT HOP card.
- All secondary students are required to carry their current Auckland Transport approved student ID card with them and present it on request to prove they are eligible for a child fare.
- Child fares are available on cash paper tickets and an AT HOP card.
- Full time secondary students that are 19 years of age at the start of the school year are eligible for child fares even if they turn 20 years of age during the school year.
- You may only hold one AT HOP card with a secondary student concession on it.
- The secondary student concession expires on the same date as the student's Auckland Transport approved student ID card.
Who does not qualify
- Secondary students without an Auckland Transport approved student ID card as proof of eligibility to travel on a secondary student concession.
- Part-time secondary students.
- Students attending a secondary school outside of the Auckland region.
- Students undertaking alternative schooling (including home schooling) without a Certificate of Exemption from the Ministry of Education or are undertaking alternative schooling outside of the Auckland region.
- Students undertaking study at a private training institute (eg language school) or a tertiary institute are not eligible for the child fare or secondary student concession, but may be eligible for the tertiary student concession.
Steps to get a concession on your AT HOP card
If you already have a registered AT HOP card go straight to step 3.
If your AT HOP card is registered to a linked account go straight to step 5.
Step 1: Buy a card
If you don't have an AT HOP card then first buy a card. You need the card number to be able to register the card.
Step 2: Create MyAT account and register your AT HOP card
When you register an AT HOP card, you have the option to register a card for yourself or for someone else if you want to manage the card on your account. Find out about options for parents/caregivers registering an AT HOP card for a child.
Step 3: Ensure you have proof that you are eligible for a concession
Get an Auckland Transport approved student ID card from your school to prove your eligibility. Home-schooled secondary students are required to have an AT Student ID Card to apply for a secondary student concession - call us on (09) 366 6400 to apply for an AT Student ID Card. You need this for your application in step 5.
All secondary students, including those under 16 years of age, are required to carry their current Auckland Transport approved student ID card with them and present it on request to prove their eligibility for travel.
Step 4: How to apply for your concession online
- Log in to your MyAT online account.
- Click on "MyAT HOP cards" and select the card you want to apply for a concession to.
- Select Apply for a concession/discount fare.
- Fill in the relevant eligibility details.
- Click submit.
Apply or renew secondary student concession on your AT HOP card.
Step 5: Load a concession onto your AT HOP card (16 to 19 years of age, inclusive)
You need to visit your nearest AT customer service centre to load the concession onto your card. Remember to bring your AT HOP card and Auckland Transport approved student ID card with you to prove your eligibility.
Discounted fares are available on services contracted to Auckland Transport and on commercial services where there is a concessionary fare scheme agreement between the operator and Auckland Transport.
You may be interested in:
- School bus timetables.
- Tertiary student concessions.
- How to pay for public transport.
- Ticket and top-up machines.
- Bus and train fares.