Secondary school students aged 16 to 19 years can travel on public transport at discounted fares with a registered AT HOP card.
How to apply
There are two ways to apply for a secondary student concession on your AT HOP card. You can apply online or visit one of our customer service centres.
- Check if you're eligible for the secondary student discount.
- You must register your AT HOP card before you can apply for a secondary student concession. If you don't have an AT HOP card, find out how to buy one.
Secondary school students can now download a digital version of their student ID and use this to apply for a concession on their AT HOP cards. Find out more.
It's easy to apply for your secondary student concession online. You'll need your National Student Number and AT HOP card details handy.
Applying online also means you only need to apply once, and your secondary student concession will automatically renew each year.
Step 1: Submit your secondary student concession application
In your MyAT account, under "View all cards":
- Select the card you want to apply the secondary student concession to
- Select the "Available products" tab
- Select "Apply for a concession"
- Choose "Secondary" from the concession type list and complete the application form
Before you start
Make sure you have your National Student Number handy.
Step 2: We will send you an email when your concession is loaded
Once you receive a confirmation email that your concession is loaded, it will be available on your AT HOP card in 1 hour.
Step 3: Tag on to activate
You will need to tag on to an AT HOP card reader or electronic gate at a train station within 60 days for your concession to be activated on your AT HOP card.
Option 2: Apply through an AT customer service centre
If you do not have your National Student Number available, you can apply by visiting one of our customer service centres with a valid student ID card.
You need to know
- Your secondary student concession will only be valid until the expiry date on your student ID card. Find out about concession expiry and renewal.
- The person applying for the secondary student concession must present the appropriate ID at the Customer Service Centre to verify their eligibility before the concession can be applied to their AT HOP card.
Secondary student concession
The secondary student concession is available on a registered AT HOP card. Child cash fares apply on paper tickets for trains and ferries. You must carry your current Auckland Transport approved student ID card with you while travelling and present it on request to prove you are eligible for a child fare.
These discounts apply to AT timetabled bus, train and ferry services, and AT Local (excludes Waiheke and Rakino ferries).
See full fare details on Fares & discounts.
To be eligible, you must be a full-time secondary student between 16 to 19 years of age.
Full time secondary students that are 19 years of age at the start of the school year are eligible for child fares even if they turn 20 years of age during the school year.
You may only hold one AT HOP card with a secondary student concession on it.
You will not qualify if you:
- don't have a Auckland Transport approved student ID card as proof of eligibility to travel on a secondary student concession.
- are a part-time secondary student.
- attend a secondary school outside of the Auckland region.
- undertake alternative schooling (including home schooling) without a Certificate of Exemption from the Ministry of Education or are undertaking alternative schooling outside of the Auckland region.
- undertake study at a private training institute (e.g language school) or a tertiary institute are not eligible for the child fare or secondary student concession, but may be eligible for the tertiary student concession.
Student identification is required while travelling
You must carry your current Auckland Transport approved student ID card with you while travelling and present it on request to prove you are eligible for a child fare.
If you had applied for your secondary student concession using your National Student Number, it will automatically renew the concession on your AT HOP card each year, as long as you have a valid enrolment in an Auckland secondary school.
If you had applied for your secondary student concession at a customer service centre, your concession expires on the same date as your Auckland Transport approved student ID card. To renew your concession, apply online so you don't need to visit a customer service centre every other year to re-validate your enrolment status.
You can find your National Student Number (NSN) by:
- checking the top right hand corner of a Record of Achievement/Result Notice issued from a NZ school (just above the date).
- asking your school.
- enquiring on the NZQA website.
- calling NZQA on 0800 697 296 (between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday).
You may be interested in:
- Fare concessions for children 5 to 12 years old
- Fare concessions for children 13 to 15 years old
- Fare concessions for youth 16 to 24 years old
- Tertiary student concessions
- School bus timetables
- Fare zones & how much you pay