Enjoy 50% off AT travel fares, concessions and the price of a new AT HOP card (except the purchase of pre-loaded HOP cards) until 31 January 2023. Excludes Waiheke and Rakino ferry tickets. For more details, visit Half Price Discount on Public Transport Fares.
Senior citizens can travel for free on trains and selected bus and ferry services in Auckland, after 9am weekdays and all day weekends and public holidays with a gold AT HOP card or key tag loaded with a SuperGold public transport concession.
Gold AT HOP cards or key tags usually cost $11. This includes a $10 card fee (non-refundable) and the card must be loaded with at least $1 HOP Money at the time of purchase. Until 31 August 2022, the 50% discount will apply to the card or key tag fee. This means the overall price will be reduced to $6, comprising of a $5 card fee and $1 HOP Money. For more details, visit Half Price Discount on Public Transport Fares.
Gold AT HOP cards and key tags work in exactly the same way, they just look different. Please note, retailers and customer service centres have a limited number of gold AT HOP key tags left.
Only eligible individuals can purchase a gold AT HOP card or key tag
Only SuperGold concessions can only be loaded on gold AT key tags and cards. To be eligible for the concession you must be a current SuperGold card holder.
Gold AT HOP cards or key tags must be purchased by the individual who is eligible for the concession. This is to ensure that the card or key tag is issued only to a person who is eligible, and to protect your identity. If you wish to bring someone with you to help you make your purchase – e.g. a spouse or relative – they are most welcome.
Important: the concession is not loaded onto your gold AT HOP card or key tag at the time of purchase - you need to load the concession separately, after purchase.
Steps to get your SuperGold concession
- Buy a gold AT HOP card or key tag.
- Register your gold AT HOP card or key tag.
- Apply for the SuperGold concession.
Where you can buy
Gold AT HOP cards and key tags are not available for purchase online or at retailers who only sell pre-paid AT HOP cards.
Please note that retailers and customer service centres have a limited number of gold AT HOP key tags left.
What you need to buy
What to take with you to buy a gold AT HOP card or key tag
- Take your SuperGold card and a current photo ID e.g. Driver Licence or your passport, or if your SuperGold card has your photo on it, then you do not need to take another form of photo ID.
- Tell the retailer that you are eligible for a gold AT HOP card or key tag and present your SuperGold card and photo ID.
- Take $11. The cost of the gold AT HOP card or key tag is $10 and you must load it with a minimum of $1 credit (HOP money). The purchase price is non-refundable.
- Please note, the concession is not loaded onto your AT HOP card or key tag at the time of purchase.
Most AT Customer Service Centres only accept debit, EFTPOS, and credit cards but not cash, with the exception of Manukau AT Customer Service Centre. Contact your closest AT HOP retailer to confirm what types of payments they accept.
Loading your gold AT HOP card or key tag with HOP Money
This allows you to use your card to travel on public transport outside of concession hours and on excluded services. For example, if you need to travel to an early morning appointment. You can also use this money to purchase a paper public transport ticket for another person, such as a friend or family member who doesn’t have an AT HOP card.
In order to ensure the SuperGold public transport concession is only provided to customers that are entitled to the concession, you will need to provide further identification if your SuperGold card does not have a photo.
List of photo IDs accepted
- Current Passport or Driver Licence,
- Hospitality NZ 18+ Card Evidence of Age Document,
- AT Senior Citizen ID card,
- AT Total Mobility ID card,
- Fullers Ferry Monthly Pass ID card with photo,
- Firearms Licence.
If you do not have an up-to-date photo ID
We will accept photo IDs that have expired after 1 January 2013.
If you do not have a photo ID, you can use any two of the following original documents (no photocopies). Do not send original documents in the post, so only use this ID if you are buying a gold AT HOP card or key tag at an AT HOP retailer.
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Deed Poll Certificate
- Citizenship Certificate (for overseas born residents)
- National identity card (issued by some overseas countries)
If you want to use one or two of the following other ID documents, these will only be accepted if on the relevant organisation’s letterhead and includes your name and address.
- WINZ document
- IRD document
- Court-issued document
- Council rates bill
- Water rates bill
- Bank statement
- Insurance company letter / Certificate of Insurance
- Power company bill
- Telephone company bill (landline/broadband only, mobile phone bills are not acceptable)
ID documents not accepted
- Letters not on company letterhead
- Mobile phone bills
Skip to chat