How to tag on and tag off How to tag on and tag off
Use your AT HOP card to tag on before you board your train or ferry and as you board your bus, then tag off when you finish your trip. If you don't tag on and tag off you may be charged the default fare.
At train stations, ferry terminals and on buses you'll see AT HOP card readers.
- Tag on by holding your AT HOP card flat and still to the AT HOP card reader or electronic gate,
- Wait until you hear the beep and a green light flash, which means you're ready to go.
- Two beeps with a green and amber light shows you are travelling on a concession fare.
- Three beeps with a green light shows you are travelling with an unregistered AT HOP card. Find out how to register your AT HOP card.
- When you've completed your journey, do the same as you exit the train station, bus, ferry terminal or pontoon, to tag off.
Your AT HOP card may be checked once you are on board the train, ferry or bus.
If you forget to tag on or tag off
If you forget to tag on or tag off you will be charged the default fare. Find out about default fares.
Changing your mind after tagging on
If you tag on and then decide to not board the train or ferry, you can tag off at the same station, ferry terminal or pontoon within 20 minutes of tagging on and you won't be charged for a trip.
If you tag on a bus and decide not to travel, you will need to tag off at the bus driver console to not be charged.
Paying for travelling companions
Find out how you can use your AT HOP card to pay for more than one person.
Skip to chat