Catching a ferry
Planning my trip
- You can plan your journey by using the AT Journey Planner on our website, using the AT Mobile app or looking at individual ferry timetables.
- If you are travelling to or from Waiheke for a day, luggage storage facilities are available at the Downtown and Waiheke ferry terminals.
- If you don’t need you bike at the other end of your ferry trip, these can be left in Bike racks at the ferry terminal
- Free park and sail facilities are available at Devonport, Birkenhead, Northcote Point, Bayswater, West Harbour (weekdays only), Pine Harbour, Half Moon Bay.
- For places to park near the downtown ferry terminal see Parking in Central Auckland.
How do I catch a ferry?
- For a consistent experience across all our services, you are encouraged to buy a ticket before you board or use an AT HOP card for your travel. You can use ticket machines that are being installed across the ferry network. For more details, see the Ticket Information page.
- Bicycles can be carried on most ferry services for free. Space is limited though, and whilst we work with operators to provide more space for bikes, we do ask that you plan your journeys carefully and if possible avoid the busier peak times for travel. The Rakino Island ferry, Rangitoto Island and Tiritiri Matangi Island ferries are the exceptions. Just wheel your bike onto the ferry. Some boats have racks, others have hooks, and with others you can lean your bike against a rail, or stand out the back with your bike. If unsure, observe other cyclists or ask one of the ferry staff.
- Dogs and small animals in cages can be carried on most ferry services. Please check with your ferry operator before you travel.
- For your safety, please remain seated until the ferry has come to a stop. If wanting to board, wait until the vessel has docked before going down on the wharf. Let disembarking passengers get off before boarding.
Boarding the ferry
- Ask the crew for assistance getting on or travelling on the ferry. Ferries have ramps for wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
- Follow the safety rules at all times and listen for instructions from the crew.
During your journey
- Use handrails when moving around the vessel and watch for raise doorsills and uneven surfaces.
- Please supervise your children at all times. Running, climbing and jumping are not permitted.
Getting off the ferry
- For your safety remain seated while the vessel berths
- Remember to take all your belongings with you
- If using an AT HOP, tag off as you leave the pier.