Auckland Transport will cease all passenger operations to and from Westfield Station from close of service on 11 March 2017. The last train to stop at Westfield Station will be the Southern Line service to Papakura at 12.53am on the early morning of Sunday 12 March.
Date: From Sunday 12 March 2017
Affected services: Southern and Eastern Line train services
Why Westfield Station is closing
- Westfield is one of the least used stations on the Auckland rail network and typically ranks in the bottom two stations for monthly patronage figures. The most recent figures for the station showed less than 330 passenger boardings and alightings per day.
- Forecasts of future patronage at Westfield Station indicates that demand is likely to remain low, consistent with the light industrial area it services and overlap between the Westfield and Otahuhu station walking catchments.
- If it was to remain open, Westfield Station would also require significant investment to enable access for disabled passengers and upgrade general customer facilities to the same standard as other stations.
- The closure of Westfield Station was first proposed as part of the South Auckland New Network consultation in 2013. At that time, Auckland Transport engaged in extensive consultation with local communities and key stakeholders.
- In deciding to close the station, Auckland Transport considered the results of this consultation alongside the issues with Westfield Station outlined above and significant upgrades to the public transport infrastructure in South Auckland since 2013.
Alternative public transport options
If you currently use Westfield Station, this means that you will need to plan a new journey from Sunday 12 March. Depending on your journey, this may involve catching a bus to an alternative station.
Bus stops 7641 and 7636 are located within 650m of Westfield Station on Great South Rd. Bus routes 008, 321 and 322 service these stops and allow you to travel to a number of destinations, including Onehunga, Avondale, Britomart and the new transport hub at Otahuhu.
Plan your new journey
- Plan your new journey online using the Journey Planner from Monday 27 February. Please ensure that you use a date after Sunday 12 March when planning your new journey so it does not include Westfield Station as an option.
- We will have AT ambassadors at the station from 2pm to 6pm from Monday 27 February to Friday 3 March to help you plan your new journey.
- You can also get assistance from our friendly AT staff at one of our Customer Service Centres.
Published 17 January 2017 | Last updated 17 January 2017
Information is correct at the time of publishing and subject to change