If you are looking for ideas for the upcoming school holidays, look no further than an exciting bus, train or ferry ride.
Take a bus trip
Take the kids for a ride on one of the new double decker buses and enjoy the views from the top deck.
Routes with double decker buses:
- The NX1 from Hibiscus Coast or Albany Station via the Harbour Bridge to Lower Albert Street
- The NX2 via the Harbour Bridge and Wellesley Street to City Universities & Symonds Street
Beach Haven & Birkenhead
- Route 97 from Verran’s Corner via Mokoia Road, Highbury Shops, Onewa Road and the Harbour Bridge to Lower Albert Street
- Route 70 from Botany to Pakuranga, Panmure Station then to Newmarket and Customs Street
- Route 72C & 72M from Howick via Pakuranga and Pakuranga Road to Panmure Station
- Route 18 from New Lynn via Pt Chevalier, Great North Road, Grey Lynn, Karangahape Rd and then to Victoria Street.
Mt Eden Rd
- 27H from Three Kings via Mt Eden Road to Britomart
- 27W from Waikowhai via Hillsborough Road and Mt Eden Road, then to Britomart
- Route 30 From Onehunga Transport Centre via Manukau Road to Wellesley Street and Mayoral Drive
Disclaimer: AT Metro cannot guarantee that a double-decker bus will be scheduled to run on every service on of a particular route, as double-decker buses are scheduled according to their availability.
Take a train trip
There’s something special about train travel that kids adore. The sounds, the movement and the unique routes that they take, turn travel into an adventure.
Venture out by train and visit some of Auckland’s iconic attractions or less well-known gems. Head to the city, the Domain and Museum or Rainbow’s End. Enjoy lunch at a neighbourhood café, enjoy a movie or do a bit of shopping at some of Auckland’s best shopping areas on the doorstep of rail network. Or take your bikes on the train and try out some of Auckland’s great cycle rides.
Check out the Auckland train network map and plan your outing today.
There are some weekends and public holidays when trains will not operate on parts of the train network, to enable us to upgrade and maintain the rail network. During these closures replacement bus services will be provided. To check if you weekend plans may be affected by a closure please check upcoming plans here.
Take a ferry trip
Auckland's harbour and gulf are full of exciting things to do. Visit historic Devonport with waterfront walks, cafes and stunning hill top views. Or take a trip under the Harbour Bridge to Birkenhead and enjoy the coastal bush walks around the NZ Chelsea Sugar works before heading up to Birkenhead Village.
From Downtown Ferry terminal, ferry services travel to:
- Beach Haven, Birkenhead, Northcote Point, Bayswater, Stanley Bay, Devonport and Gulf Harbour.
- West Harbour, Hobsonville and Beach Haven.
- Half Moon Bay and Pine Harbour.
- Rakino and Waiheke Islands.
Find out more information about the 13 destinations we can take you to by ferry. In addition, various ferry companies offer sightseeing services to many of the Hauraki Gulf islands, including Rangitoto Island, the bird sanctuary on Tiritiri Matangi, Rotoroa Island and Great Barrier Island.
Start planning your bus, train or ferry journey
Use the Journey Planner to enter where you are travelling from and to, date and time. Use the Advance button to narrow your search to a particular transport mode.
Note: Children under 5 travel free when accompanied by a fare paying passenger.
You can also view full PDF bus, train and ferry timetables online.