If you are looking for ideas for the upcoming school holidays, look no further than an exciting bus, train or ferry ride.
Take a bus trip
Take the kids for a ride on one of the new double decker buses and enjoy the views from the top deck. Additional routes for double deckers are being planned for 2017 and 2018.
Routes with double decker buses these holidays:
- Northern Express from Hibiscus Coast Station to Britomart.
- 881 from Albany to Newmarket via City.
- 500 from Downtown to Mission Heights via Botany.
- 501 from Cockle Bay to Britomart.
- 550 from Downtown to Cockle Bay via Howick.
Mt Eden Rd
- 274 from Downtown to Three Kings.
- 277 from Downtown to Waikowhai via Hayr Rd, Staveley Ave and Hillsborough Rd.
- 973 from Verrans Corner to Downtown via Rangatira Rd, Birkdale Rd and Onewa Rd.
- 974 from Verrans Corner to Downtown via Birkdale Rd, Rangatira Rd and Onewa Rd.
Take a train trip
Trains are ideal for getting to the city and are also a handy way to get to town centres, movies and shopping destinations. Other attractions near train stations include Rainbow's End at Manukau, Auckland Museum near Grafton and Newmarket stations and some of Auckland great cycle rides.
Auckland's train network has four lines that take you South, East and West Auckland. The most scenic route is the Eastern Line across the Orakei Basin.
Auckland trains operate every 10 minutes at peak times, 20 minutes between peaks and half hourly in evenings and weekends (with the exception of Onehunga and Pukekohe services).
Take a ferry trip
Auckland's harbour and gulf are full of exciting things to do. Visit historic Devonport with waterfront walks, cafes and stunning hill top views. Or take a trip under the Harbour Bridge to Birkenhead and enjoy the coastal bush walks around the NZ Chelsea Sugar works before heading up to Birkenhead Village.
From Downtown Ferry terminal, regular ferry services travel to:
- Beach Haven, Birkenhead, Northcote Point, Bayswater, Stanley Bay, Devonport and Gulf Harbour.
- West Harbour, Hobsonville and Beach Haven.
- Half Moon Bay and Pine Harbour.
- Rakino and Waiheke Islands.
Find out more information about the 13 destinations we can take you to by ferry. In addition, various ferry companies offer sightseeing services to many of the Hauraki Gulf islands, including Rangitoto Island, the bird sanctuary on Tiritiri Matangi, Rotoroa Island and Great Barrier Island.
Start planning your bus, train or ferry journey
Use the Journey Planner to enter where you are travelling from and to, date and time. Use the Advance button to narrow your search to a particular transport mode.
Note: Children under 5 travel free when accompanied by a fare paying passenger.
You can also view full PDF bus, train and ferrry timetables online.