The AT Community Bike Fund is available to support communities and groups to deliver activities, events and projects that encourage more people to ride bikes more often in Auckland, especially new riders.
It is part of AT's ongoing commitment to support and promote cycling as a transport choice. Through the fund, we hope to support organisations and interest groups who can incorporate and encourage cycling in their projects and activities, whether the group has a cycling focus or not.
How to apply
Before making a submission, all applicants should:
- Read the Community Bike Fund Grant Policy
- and contact the Cycling Events team for guidance with your application.
We encourage all applicants to contact the Cycling Events Team to discuss the group's project ideas further, to ensure they align with the purpose of the grant and to provide support through the application process. Please email the Cycling Events team details on your project idea and contact details.
Please note, Auckland Council will be administering the grant on behalf of Auckland Transport through Smartygrants. The above link will take you to the Auckland Council page to complete your application. If you have any questions regarding Smartygrants, please email Auckland Counil or phone 09 301 0101.
Image: A group of riders on electric bikes taking part of the Learn to Ride your City project by Nutters Ride Together - a 2018/19 applicant of the AT Community Bike Fund.
There will be one round available during 2020/21, as follows:
- Opens Monday 13 July 2020, at 8am.
- Closes Sunday 23 August 2020, at 10pm.
All projects must be completed by 30 June 2021.
There is a total of $50,000 to be distributed to community groups.
Groups can apply for grants from $300 up to $5,000.
With this fund, AT aims to:
- encourage and support people new to riding a bike.
- further normalise cycling as a viable mode of transport.
- support initiatives that showcase cycleways and shared paths to local people.
- support an increase in cycle safety.
- encourage community collaboration and partnerships via bikes.
- encourage everyday journeys by bike.
- empower groups to champion cycling within their community.
Funding is available for community-focused projects and events that align with the fund outcomes above. For example, projects that encourage the uptake of cycling at a transport choice, safe cycling practices, or use of shared paths and cycleways.
The fund can be used for three activity types:
- Community events, activities or projects,
- programmes that encourage the safe use of the Auckland cycle network,
- or the development of community focused cycling information and resources.
For the full overview of the grant, including purpose, scope and eligibility, please refer to the Grant Policy.
If you have any questions, please contact the Cycling Events team.