Shared path for cyclists and pedestrians along Quay Street and Tamaki Drive, following the waterfront through Okahu Bay, Mission Bay, St Heliers Bay in Central and East Auckland.
Note: Please be aware of road and pathway works on Tamaki Drive at the Ngapipi Road intersection affecting the Auckland waterfront shared path. Pedestrians and cyclists please follow any diversions in place around the area. Find out more about the Tamaki Drive and Ngapipi Road intersection project.
Details of the route
- Britomart to Mission Bay:
- 7km fully paved route.
- About 30 minutes by bike.
- About 1 hour and 30 minutes walking.
- Britomart to St Heliers:
- 10km fully paved route.
- About 40 minutes by bike.
- About 2 hours walking.
- Entirely off-road path.
More about this route
The Auckland waterfront shared path is one of the most popular routes in Auckland. A gentle ride for cyclists, the whole route is off-road and beside the water of the Waitemata harbour with views to Rangitoto.
At Mission Bay enjoy the beach, park, restaurants, pubs, cafes or cinema or continue to St Heliers Bay. The path is busy and shared by cyclists and pedestrians. Cyclists please ride slowly and everyone share with care.
How to get there
- Access from Downtown Ferry Terminal:
- exit ferry building and left onto Quay Street.
- Access from Britomart train station:
- exit through Tyler Street or Commerce Street,
- left onto Commerce Street,
- right onto Quay Street.
- Bikes can be taken on trains and most ferries free of charge.
Who can use this route
- Dogs must be on a leash at all times, unless stated otherwise in the local area.
Share the path
- As a guide, the path is separated into two lanes:
- one marked for pedestrians and one marked for cyclists.
- Slower traffic has right of way.
- ring your bell to alert pedestrians or other cyclists before passing.
- keep to the left in the lane and pass on the right.
- keep to the pedestrian lane.
- keep left and allow cyclists to pass when you hear a bell.
- Please be courteous towards other path users.
- Remember to smile, wave and have a good time.
Features and highlights
- The Cloud and The Lighthouse on Queens Wharf.
- Ports of Auckland.
- Kelly Tarlton's Sea Life Aquarium.
- Fantastic views of the harbour and Rangitoto.
- Parks, picnic spots and beaches.
- Mission Bay fountain in Selwyn Domain.
Facilities on route
- Toilets, rubbish bins and drinking water along the route.
- Bike parking in Mission Bay are located:
- next to the playground,
- next to the Community Constable office,
- by the gate to the parking lot.
- on Tamaki Drive by Movenpick,
- and on Patteson Avenue by the intersection with Tamaki Drive.
- Bike parking in Kohimarama beach are located:
- on the corner of Tamaki Drive and Averill Avenue,
- and by the toilets and drinking fountain.
- Bike parking in St Heliers Bay are located:
- on the corner of Tamaki Drive and Turua Street,
- and on Tamaki Drive just before the corner with Cliff Road and St Heliers Bay Playground.
- Downtown ferry terminal.
- Britomart Train Station.
- Parnell baths and Parnell rose gardens.
- Bastion Point in Michael Joseph Savage Memorial Park.
Upcoming upgrades and links to future routes
Give feedback about this route
- Report a problem, such as a hazard or poor condition of this route.
You might also be interested in: