A route from the historic suburb of Devonport, though parks and along the waterfront, finishing at the fabulous Takapuna Beach next to a bustling shopping centre.
- 9.5 km.
- About 40 minutes.
Devonport to Takapuna green route map
More about this route
The Devonport to Takapuna Great Ride includes paths, boardwalks and bridges weaving through parks, mangroves, and heritage streets. Along the way find a nautical-themed playground at Northboro Reserve, look for eels among the mangroves, and delve into North Shore’s history at its oldest cemetery founded in 1891.
There are short steep hills near either end of the ride. To avoid the busy Devonport shops, pass in front of New World Supermarket and walk up the ramped foot path to the top of Victoria Rd. Past Calliope Rd there is a bike lane on the footpath. At the Takapuna end riders may wish to enter the shops or cross at the zebra crossing and pop down Blomfield Spa to the beach.
Confident riders can make a round trip returning from Takapuna along Lake Road & Vauxhall Road, stopping off at the stunning Cheltenham and Narrow Neck Beaches.
- To start at Devonport, catch a ferry from Britomart.
- Mixed terrain - mostly paved.
- Signposted through parks and quiet suburban roads.
- Short busy sections at either end, less confident riders may choose to walk.
- For a shorter round trip take the Bayswater Ferry back to Britomart.
- Ride from the wharf to the beach along the Devonport peninsula.
- Views of Auckland City and the Auckland Harbour Bridge.
- Cafés, shopping and swimming at both ends.
- Access from Devonport ferry and Bayswater ferry.
- Picnic and swimming spots.
Share the path
- Please be courteous towards other path users.
- Ring your bell before passing.
- Remember to smile, wave and have a good time.