Stride into summer with the 2019 Auckland Walk Challenge
When and where
Date: 1 to 30 November 2019.
Start summer feeling great by joining this year’s walking challenge. This free, month-long event runs from 1 to 30 November and aims at getting more people walking in Auckland. Grab some colleagues, friends or family, form a team and motivate each other to hit the daily step goals, tracking your steps through the simple online platform or sync your activity tracker device. Compete against other Auckland teams and workplaces as you ‘virtually’ walk all the way from Bluff to Auckland. If the number of benefits associated with walking are not enough to convince you, we’ve got a bunch of cool prizes to give away, including a weekend getaway for two to Waiheke*.
Just walk for at least 30 minutes a day – to the bus stop, to work, to the local shops – and track your distance online. It’s fun, it’s free and best of all, it’s great for your health and wellbeing.
Registration is now open, so why not form a team with colleagues or friends and family and take to 2 legs this Spring.
Complete your registration by 31 October 2019 and be in to win one of three $150 Rebel Sport vouchers.*
*Terms and Conditions apply
Further information about the Walk Challenge
- A fun activity for your workplace, friends or family, or community groups.
- A friendly competition between teams.
- A boost to health and fitness goals.
- Prize incentives including vouchers for food and walking gear, healthy food hampers and a weekend away for two to Waiheke.
- It will bring a smile to your face and make the world a better place.
- All this and it’s completely free.
- The challenge is open to all Auckland residents. You can form a team of colleagues or alternatively join with your friends or family.
Get set up
- Registering on the Walker Tracker site is easy. You create a login profile and get asked whether you’d like to hear from Auckland Transport about future walk challenges.
- To be grouped with other people from your Organisation, select the correct ‘Group’ from over 500 organisations already listed when prompted. But don’t worry, if your organisation is not listed, select this option from the list and we will liaise with you to create a new group.
- To go in the competition to win one of three $150 Rebel Sport vouchers you need to complete your registration by answering a quick survey about your current walking habits and goals. This should take less than 2 minutes.
Track your progress
- You can familiarise yourself with the website and how to track your steps before the team Challenge starts in November.
- If you have an activity tracker you can sync your device. If not, you can add your steps manually from a pedometer or step counting device like your phone. If you don’t have anything that counts steps you can add the time spent walking and this will be converted into steps for you.
- There’s also an app that you can download to do all this from your smartphone.
- Once the walking challenge starts on Friday 1 November you can chart your team’s progress on the virtual map visiting sites between Bluff and Auckland.
Create a team
- Create and grow your team of between 2 and 6 people.
- Your team could be made up of colleagues, family members or even a community group that you belong to. Invite away.
- To complete the ‘virtual’ journey from Bluff to Auckland during November your team’s goal is to average 7000 steps per day over the month of November. There are several achievement milestones along the way to help keep your team motivated to make progress.
- Teams who meet this step goal have more chances of winning the prizes on offer.
- During the Challenge, the leaderboard displays your team, the top 50 teams plus a random selection of other teams.
Prizes* on offer
There are various prizes on offer for participation in this Challenge including:
- a weekend for two on Waiheke
- x3 $150 Rebel Sport vouchers
- various $50 vouchers for Pak N Save, Kathmandu, Event Cinemas, Rebel Sport, AT HOP money
- Little Bird Organics healthy food hampers
- x2 $100 Westfield vouchers.
Winning a prize
We’ve got prizes for:
- registering by Oct 31 and completing our walking survey
- teams who have met the 7000 step daily goal (weekly)
- an individual selected from those who have logged 7000 steps or more a day on at least 20 out of the
- 30 days of the Challenge (overall prize)
- participating in our mini competitions
- completing our walking behaviour survey at the end of the Challenge.
We’ll be in touch to let you know if you’ve won a prize.
*Ts and Cs apply
Below are some resources you can download and print out to promote the Auckland Walking Challenge within your business, school or club.
You may also be interested in: