Matakana trails ride to Omaha and Point Wells
This ride has been established by the Matakana Cycle Trail Trust and takes you from Matakana to Omaha and Point Wells. The ride is recommended for more confident cyclists as it includes sections on gravel roads.
- About 1 hour.
- A mix of off-road shared paths, cycle lanes and quiet roads with 50km – 70km hour speed limits.
- Gravel and sealed sections.
- Caution is required if crossing Matakana bridge from the township.
Matakana cycle ride map
More about this route
The Matakana trails ride has fantastic views and many points of interest including café’s, wineries and roadside stalls offering fresh produce. The track goes through farmland as well as bush and quiet communities.
Along the way 8 ceramic sculptural markers feature stylised maps of the area’s topography. These indicate selected features like lakes, roads and buildings encountered along the route. Some are paired to hold macrocarpa slab bench seats that offer a place to rest and contemplate the landscape.
The path itself is predominantly gravel, and there are sections of gravel road so road bikes are not recommended. There is one steep section up and down to Takatu Road.
The Matakana Cycle Trail Trust has worked extensively with community members, authorities and private land owners to develop these cycling and walking trails.
- Fantastic views.
- Omaha Beach.
- Wineries and road-side stalls.
- Food shops and cafes.
- Picnic areas.
- Swimming spot at high tide near Omaha.
Share the path
- Slower traffic has right of way.
- Please be courteous towards other path users.
- Ring your bell before passing.
- Remember to smile, wave and have a good time.
- Ride on the left and pass on the right.