Quay Street Cycleway is a two-way cycleway allowing travel in both directions within it. Parts of the cycleway sit on-road and other sections use the footpath.
About this route
The cycleway is separated from traffic by raised concrete kerbs. Between Lower Hobson Street and Britomart Place the concrete kerbs are interspersed with planter boxes.
There are on-road cycle lanes between Queen Street and Commerce Street.
We are extending the Quay Street Cycleway from the intersection with Plumer Street to just before The Strand. Find out more at Quay Street Cycleway extension.
- Connects with the ferry terminal and with cycle routes along Nelson Street, Beach Road and Auckland’s waterfront.
- Designed for people of all ages and abilities.
- The entire route separates bikes and pedestrians.
- Planter boxes and raised concrete kerbs separate the cycleway from traffic.
- Drop kerbs at every pedestrian crossing allow people on bikes to leave the cycleway and join the footpath. This change makes it easier to cross Quay Street and access side streets such as Commerce Street.
- Cycle counter.
Map of new Quay Street Cycleway
Accessing the Quay Street cycleway
Quay Street Cycleway connects with Beach Road Cycleway at Britomart Place. At Plumer Street, the cycleway joins the existing shared path along Quay Street and Tamaki Drive.
You can also join the cycleway at any point along Quay street from the waterfront side.