Find out things you should consider when choosing a bike, secret riding locations of Aucklanders that love to ride and resources for cycling in Auckland.
- Find out what you should consider when choosing a bike
- Discover secret locations with tips and tricks for cycling in Auckland
There are lots of bikes on offer, so selecting the one the suits you can be a challenge.
Start by answering the questions below. Your answers will help guide the type of bike you will need:
- How often are you likely to ride?
- What sort of riding will you be doing – recreation, commuting, off-road exploring, long distance touring, racing, or everyday riding to the shops and local areas?
- Where will you be riding – suburban streets, country roads, mountain bike trails, gravel roads, paved cycle paths, dirt paths, and grass?
- How much money are you looking to spend?
- What features would you like to consider – suspension forks, disc brakes or rim brakes?
- What accessories will you need – do you want to fit a basket, racks, pannier bags, kickstand or baby seat?
- Is there a particular style, look or colour that appeals to you?
Before buying a bike it is a good idea to borrow one from a friend or to rent a bike, so you get a feel for some different bikes. Most bike shops will also let you have a little test ride so you can get a better feel for the fit before you buy.
Seek advice from other cyclists, visit local bike shops, or explore the internet for information on different brands and styles.
Choosing the right size and fit
One size does not fit all. Getting the right size is one of the most important aspects in choosing a bike.
Comfort, handling, aerodynamics and efficiency all rely on the right fit.
Bike frames come in different sizes while seats and handlebars can be changed or adjusted for fit. If you purchase a new bike from a bike shop they should adjust it to fit your body.
- Get our tip sheet for choosing a bike (PDF 364KB)
Watch our cycling in Auckland video series, where you’ll meet some everyday Aucklanders who ride bikes.
Hear about their tips and tricks for cycling in Auckland. They’ll share their secret riding locations, tell you about the type of bike they ride, how they look after their bike, and the type of things they take with them.
Cycling resources and organisations
For more information on cycling and details of cycling groups and organisations, visit the following websites:
- Bike Wise
- NZ Transport Agency Cycling information
- Cycling New Zealand
- Bike Auckland
- Cycling Advocates Network
- Frocks on Bikes
- ACC SportSmart 10-point action plan
- Auckland Cycle Touring Association (ACTA)
- Auckland Central Cycle Club
- Auckland Mountain Bike Club
- Manukau City Veterans Cycle Club
- Counties Manukau Cycling Club
- Pohutukawa Coast Bike Club
- Department of Cycling - Waitakere Cycling Club
- West Coast Riders Club
- North Harbour Cycling Club
- Tumeke Cycle Space
- Recycling Bicycles for Refugees