In November 2015, Auckland Transport (AT) sought feedback on a proposal to extend the existing Eden Terrace paid parking zone.
As a result of received feedback, the zone will not be extended. Instead, we will introduce paid parking on only some of the streets in the original proposal which will come in to effect on 11 July 2016.
Consultation status: closed 18 December 2015
- View the map showing new paid parking areas in Eden Terrace
- View feedback results from the consultation
- Find out what was originally proposed for the Eden Terrace paid parking zone
Since its introduction in 2013, the paid parking zone in the northern part of Eden Terrace has made it easier to find a park and provided greater flexibility in the length of stay.
AT proposed that this zone be expanded to the area south of Newton Road. Paid parking zones have been effective within areas of high parking demand, such as the city centre, Newmarket and Parnell.
Currently, around half of the time restricted spaces in Eden Terrace are used for long-stay parking (greater than 4 hours). People either risk getting an infringement notice or periodically move their vehicles to avoid detection.
- Paid parking would replace all on-street unrestricted parking and all time restricted parking.
- Parking rates set at $1 per hour, applicable 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
- Newton Road excluded due to the small number of parking spaces.
- A 10 minute grace period allowing for quick pick-ups and drop-offs for customers and delivery companies.
- All existing loading zones and no stopping areas within the zone would remain unchanged.
- Parking is at 90% occupancy in Eden Terrace, making it hard for visitors to find a park.
- In the city centre, the removal of time limits saw a 27% reduction in parking fines.
- Paid parking encourages vehicle turnover and allows flexibility in length of stay.
- Demand responsive pricing helps ensure some parking is always available.
- A 10 minute grace period allows for pick-ups and drop-offs without the need to pay.
- A simple and consistent approach to parking within Eden Terrace.
- Prioritises short-stay parking over commuter parking.
- Reduces congestion from vehicles circulating the area looking for a park.
The public were invited to give their feedback until on the proposed paid parking zone extension. Consultation closed Friday 18 December.
We received 94 responses, with 66% of respondents either “opposed” or “strongly opposed”. Residents’ concerns about on-street parking featured in 34 responses, with requests that residents be exempted from paid parking.
To make it easier for people visiting the area, paid parking will be introduced on 11 July 2016 on some streets.
Within the area covered by the original proposal, there are around 140 on-street parking spaces. The changes made as a result of public feedback will see half of those spaces remain as unpaid parking.
- Dundonald Street (eastern side and a section on the western side near to Newton Road).
- Exmouth Street (western side between New North Road and Norwich Street).
- Norwich Street (southern side).
- Diamond Street (western side between Macaulay Street and Newton Road).
- Macaulay Street (southern side).
Parking will cost $1 per hour, applicable 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday, consistent with other areas of paid parking in Auckland. A 10 minute grace period will apply, allowing for pickups and drop-offs.
At all other times these areas will be free unrestricted parking. Existing loading zones and no stopping areas will remain unchanged.
AT will monitor the area and in response to parking demand may make adjustments to the paid parking areas and prices.