Auckland Transport (AT) proposes introducing paid parking along Ponsonby Road and some surrounding streets to help manage high demand for parking within the area. We also propose additional taxi stands and loading zones.
Project status: Finalising signage and parking-meter installation. Paid parking begins July 2017.
Details of the Ponsonby paid parking zone
Proposed parking times and charges
- $1 per hour for the first 2 hours, rising to $2 for any subsequent hours.
- Operates Monday to Saturday 8am to 6pm.
- A 10-minute grace period allows for pick-ups and drop-offs.
- No time limit, but a rising hourly charge to encourage short-term parking.
- Electronic payment methods - including mobile apps - will be introduced, making it even easier to pay for and top up parking.
- See the map for details of the streets in the paid parking zone.
Once the zone is in place, if parking occupancy remains consistently higher than 85%, parking charges can be adjusted to encourage turnover of car parks. This might mean keeping the initial hourly charge
Any changes would be made in consultation with the Waitematā Local Board and Ponsonby Business Association.
Taxi stand changes
- 7 new taxi stands (around 21 parking spaces) to better serve an area popular for entertainment and dining.
- Stands operate Monday to Sunday,
9pmto 8am, reverting to loading zones or paid parkingoutside these hours.
Loading zone changes
- Loading zone hours extended Monday to Sunday,
- Loading zone outside 133 Ponsonby Road shifted around 16 metres so it no longer breaks up the existing parking bay.
- 2 new loading zones: 1 on Richmond Road outside Ponsonby Central and another on Pollen Street near the intersection with Great North Road.
Bus stop changes
Minor changes will be made to the position of some Ponsonby Road bus stops, to make it easier for buses to pick up passengers.
In November 2015, AT requested public feedback on proposed improvements for pedestrians and the relocation of one Ponsonby Road bus stop.
These proposed changes are not shown in the maps below as they are under development. They will be delivered as a separate project later in 2016.
Ponsonby is an iconic Auckland suburb and a popular destination for shopping, dining and entertainment. Parking in Ponsonby is close to 90% occupancy at busy times of the day, making it hard for customers to find a car park.
Within Auckland town centres, AT is shifting to a flexible, demand-based approach to on-street parking. By removing time limits and introducing paid parking, demand can be managed through price. Customers should always be able to find available parking and will have flexibility on how long they can stay.
- Improved parking availability.
- No time limits, pay for what you need.
- Simpler parking rules (there are around 35 different parking restrictions within Ponsonby).
- Less congestion from vehicles circulating the area looking for a park.
- More loading zones and taxi stands.
- Fewer signs required, less street clutter.
Following the introduction of paid parking in Kingsland, the number of tickets issued decreased by 40%.
- April 2016 – Consultation.
- May to June 2016 – Feedback analysis.
- July 2017 – Parking zone operational.
- September/October 2017 - Parking zone operational.