When Auckland Transport (AT) was established, we inherited the former Auckland City Council's inner city residential parking schemes. We continue to honour these schemes and they will remain in existence until new residential parking schemes are proposed.
Parking scheme features
- If you live or operate a home-based business in one of the streets within the scheme area and you need to park on the street, you can apply for a permit that gives exemption from parking restrictions.
- Permit only applies to the street it is issued for.
- Resident parking scheme permits are valid for 1 year from the time the application is granted, and must be renewed annually.
There are 2 types of permits:
- Residents exempt - allows a permit-holder to park in designated time-restricted or pay and display parking areas without the need to comply with the restriction or pay for the time. A permit only applies to certain areas of the street it is issued for.
- Residents only - allocates a section of road for the exclusive use of permit-holders (this scheme is being phased out and we are no longer issuing new permits).
Residential parking schemes in Auckland
- Auckland Central (Emily Place, Federal and Parliament Streets).
- Grey Lynn.
- Newmarket and Grafton.
Permits cost $70 per annum, per vehicle.
Resident parking scheme permits are valid for 1 year from the time the application is granted, and must be renewed annually.
To apply for a residential parking permit, please fill in the online application form.
Please read the policy document before applying for a permit.
- Proof of residence is required for all permit and coupon applications.
- Vehicle registration details. If you have a company vehicle that is not registered to your home address, include a note from your employer.
Documents that are accepted as proof of residence are:
- Generated bill dated within the last two months, eg power or internet bill.
- Electoral roll letter less than 3 months old.
- Recent tenancy agreement that clearly shows your name and full address.
Documents that are not accepted are:
- Water or rates bills are not accepted as they confirm ownership, not residency.
- Bank statements or documents.
- Property documents, such as Title papers and Sales and Purchase agreement.
- We will process your application and contact you to let you know if your permit(s) and/or coupon(s) have been approved and how to pay for them.
- The processing of your application may be delayed if the correct information or proof of residence is not provided.
- If the zone is new, or if your zone is coming up to its annual renewal cycle date, we will begin to process applications after the main application period is closed, these dates are provided in the letter we mailed to residential parking zone addresses.
- Site inspection and investigation may be undertaken by Auckland Transport prior to approving permits.
- Submitting an application for a residential parking zone permit does not exempt the vehicle from parking zone restrictions. Parking zone signs and restrictions must be adhered to until the parking permit has been approved and activated, or the vehicle may incur a parking fine.
- Once we confirm your payment, your electronic permit will be activated and we will send you a confirmation email.
How to pay
Online: Account2Account or credit card
Once your permit application is approved, online payment can be made by credit card or account to account. We will send you an email with a link to our secure online payment site.
*Account2Account is currently only available for customers of these banks: ANZ, ASB, BNZ,
Once your permit application is approved, you can pay in person at the AT kiosk, Level 1B of the Downtown car park (Albert Street side), 31 Customs Street West (corner of Lower Hobson Street and Customs Street West), Auckland Central, from
Payment methods accepted are:
- Personal cheques – made out to Auckland Transport. On the reverse, include the permit number and invoice number, which you will receive
inan email confirming that your permit has been approved.
- Credit card (Visa, Mastercard).
- Debit card.
If you are paying by cheque, you can send a cheque made out to Auckland Transport along with the reference number from your online application and send it
Cash payments are not accepted by post or in person.
Transfer a parking permit
We will consider transferring a permit to another vehicle, eg. If you have purchased a new vehicle.
Contact us in writing to request the transfer of a permit to another vehicle.
Please provide your name, address, contact number, permit number (if known), old and new car registration numbers, and make and model of the new vehicle.
If the transfer is accepted, you will be notified that the replacement permit has been activated.
Cancel a parking permit
To request cancellation of a parking permit, Contact us in writing to request the change.
Please provide your name, address, contact number, permit number (if known) and car registration number/s.
No refund can be provided for any unused time on the permit, as the permit fee is not monthly pro-rated, customers pay a yearly flat fee.
Once the cancellation has been processed you will be notified.