When Auckland Transport (AT) was established, we inherited the former Auckland City Council's inner city residential parking schemes. We continue to honour these schemes and they will remain in existence until new residential parking schemes are proposed.
Types of permits
There are 2 types of permits:
- Residents exempt - allows a permit-holder to park in a time-restricted or pay and display parking area without the need to comply with the restriction or pay for the time. A permit only applies to the street it is issued for.
- Residents only - allocates a section of road for the exclusive use of permit-holders (this scheme is being phased out and we are no longer issuing new permits).
All resident parking permits are valid for 1 year and must be renewed annually.
Permits cost $155.00 per annum.
Residential parking schemes in Auckland
- Auckland Central (Emily Place, Federal and Parliament Streets).
- Grey Lynn.
- Newmarket and Grafton.
To apply for a residential parking permit, please fill in the online application form. You will need to provide proof of address and vehicle registration details (if you have a company vehicle that is not registered to your home address, include a note from your employer).
If you are unable to complete the form online, please call our contact centre on 09 355 3553 and a Customer Service Representative will send you a printed application form.
Once we receive your application
We will contact you within 5 working days to let you know if your permit has been approved and how to pay for it.
How to pay
Cash payments are not accepted by post or in person.
Online: Account2Account or credit card
Once your permit application is approved, online payment can be made by credit card or account to account. An email will be sent to you with a link to our secure online payment site.
*Account2Account is currently only available for customers of these banks: ANZ, ASB, BNZ, KiwiBank, TSB, Westpac.
Once your permit application is approved, you can pay in person at the AT kiosk, Level 1B of the Downtown car park, 31 Customs Street West (corner of Lower Hobson Street and Customs Street West), Auckland Central, from 8.30am to 4.30pm.
Payment methods accepted in person are:
- Personal cheques – made out to Auckland Transport. On the reverse, include the permit number and invoice number, which you will receive in an email confirming that your permit has been approved.
- Credit card (Visa, Mastercard).
- Debit card.
If you are paying by cheque, you can send a cheque made out to Auckland Transport along with the reference number from your online application and send it to: Parking Permits, Auckland Transport, Private Bag 92250, Victoria Street West, Auckland 1142.
Using your permit
Once we confirm your payment, your electronic permit will be activated and we will send you a confirmation email.