Trade permits being discontinued
From 31 August 2018, Auckland Transport will no longer issue Trade permits.
Trade permits sold up to 31 August 2018 will remain valid until 31 December 2018.
AT will not be issuing refunds for any unused Trade permits, therefore we recommend that all your trade permits are used by 31 December 2018.
$20 each for a 1 day permit
Trade permits are available for selected users that require an exemption from time restrictions or an alternative way to pay for paid parking to allow them to carry out their work. For short stays, paying for the time used at a parking meter may be more economical.
Auckland Transport (AT) requires that all vehicles requesting trade permits must be registered to the applicant company. Approved vehicles must be a Goods or Service Vehicle or be independently vetted as suitable for the activity being conducted.
The following categories of business activity are eligible to apply:
- Contractors and tradespeople not eligible for a Critical Services Permit may be eligible to buy Trade permits.
- Construction vehicles - maintaining or repairing Auckland's roads, footpaths and buildings.
- Exceptional service providers - delivering or collecting medical supplies or providing medical advice or treatment to people in their homes.
- Inspection staff vehicles - investigating noise, graffiti, animal or environment complaints, security firms carrying out investigations from calls received, bio-security inspections.
- Auckland Council or AT maintenance staff vehicles - maintaining or repairing plant life, street furniture, and any other council or transport assets.
All applications will be assessed for compliance with the above criteria. Only those vehicles that meet the above will be approved for permit use.
How to apply and buy
An application to purchase trade permits must be completed, and if approved daily permits can then be purchased without needing to complete subsequent application forms.
- The application can be completed and trade permits purchased from the AT kiosk.
- Applications submitted at the AT Kiosk will be processed on site while you wait.
- Kiosk location: Level 1B of the Downtown car park (Albert Street side), 31 Customs Street West (corner of Lower Hobson Street and Customs Street West), Auckland Central.
- Kiosk hours: 8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Email or post
- The trade permit application form can be printed, then complete and return to email@example.com or post to Attn: Parking Permits, Auckland Transport, Private Bag 92250, Auckland 1142.
- Applications submitted via email or post are subject to a 5-10 working day processing timeframe once received.
Using a trade permit
Trade permits are a physical paper scratchie permit.
To use a trade permit, scratch off the date, month and the year that the permit is being used on.
A valid permit must be clearly displayed on the vehicle dashboard, face up with the selected date visible or an infringement notice may be issued.
If more than one date is scratched off, the permit will be void.
Terms and conditions
- A valid permit must be clearly displayed on the vehicle dashboard, face up with the selected date visible or an infringement notice may be issued.
- This permit is only valid when the vehicle is being used for loading/unloading goods or carrying out services approved on application.
- Each permit covers one vehicle. Additional vehicles e.g. trailers require a separate permit.
- This permit does not apply to loading zones. Vehicles parked in loading zones must comply with time restrictions.
- This permit does not apply to P2, P5, P10 or P15 time restrictions.
- This permit does not apply where a temporary traffic management plan is in place.
- This permit does not apply to prohibited parking areas such as broken yellow lines, clearways, bus stops, taxi stands or mobility parking bays.
- This permit does not guarantee the availability of any parking space. All parking operates on a “first in, first served” basis.
- This permit cannot be used to reserve any parking space.
- This permit cannot be used in a vehicle that is parked for the primary use of advertising or promotion.
- This permit cannot be used for the direct or indirect purpose of revenue generation.
- Any copies made of this original permit are invalid.
- Any abuse of the terms and conditions of this permit may result in future applications being refused.
- Auckland Transport reserves the right to revoke this permit at any time.