Auckland Transport (AT) is working with communities in Papakura to find ways to make it safer, easier and more enjoyable to walk around Papakura.
Project status: Investigation
Project zone: South
From October to December 2017, we consulted on the Safer Communities programme for Papakura, asking the community to tell us how we could make the area a safer and more enjoyable place to walk around in. That feedback is helping us to design some changes which we will be seeking public feedback around March 2019.
The aim of the project is to improve safety for pedestrians and help ensure walking is a desirable option for people. Pedestrian surveys have backed the need for improvements to be made given the high numbers of people including school children walking on these roads.
80% of all road deaths and serious injuries occur on 50km/h local urban roads. Nearly half of those deaths and injuries involve vulnerable road users – children, the elderly, people walking and people on bikes or motorcycles. We are committed to making the roads safer for vulnerable users and these changes will help improve safety for the many pedestrians including school children walking these routes.
- December 2018 to March 2019:
- Continue to use feedback to develop the safety improvements we would like to make in the wider Pakakura area.
- Further develop draft concept designs.
- March 2019 to July 2019:
- Present draft concept designs to local community for feedback (consultation phase 2).
- Use public feedback from consultation phase 2 to develop detailed designs.
- August 2019 to December 2019:
- Present draft detailed designs to community for feedback (consultation phase 3).
- Use feedback to finalise designs for safety improvements.
- 2020 to 2021 - Physical works take place.
- Upon completion of physical works - Work with the Papakura community to tell them about the changes and to encourage more walking, especially around schools.
Outcome of the 2017 consultation
We consulted on the Safer Communities programme from October to December 2017, and received 237 public submissions.
The feedback provided us with some strong areas of focus to help make Papakura safer for walking. We have taken the feedback on board and we are using it to make a draft plan of where we could build improvements to make the most difference with the budget we have available for this programme of work.
The key areas we have identified are:
- Elliot Street to Beach Road.
- Papakura Town Centre.
- Clevedon Road to Willis Road.
- Settlement Road.
Key improvements we propose in these locations include:
- Footpath upgrades.
- Pedestrian crossings.
- Intersection improvements.
- Slower traffic speeds.
- Improved walking connections.
- Town centre traffic bypass.
More information on the improvements and locations above will be provided in the near future.
Your feedback has influenced the road safety improvements we're planning to make in Rosehill, Papakura which we sought public feedback on between October and November 2018.