Auckland Transport is upgrading Puhinui Station to become a major bus and train interchange.
- Design features of the upgraded Puhinui Station Interchange.
- Find out about the Puhinui Station closure.
Project status: Design
Project zone: South
The new station will improve travel to and from the airport, and its surrounding areas by providing more reliable and timely travel choices - as well as connecting people to wider Auckland through southern and eastern line train services.
The interchange will build on the existing train station, linking the rail platform with a new bus and 'kiss and ride' area via a new elevated concourse.
- Frequent bus and rail connections to make easy journeys to the airport, city centre and other areas.
- Improved safety with new lighting, HOP ticket gateline, CCTV systems.
- Increased shelter for passengers moving between bus and train services, and improved facilities and access for cyclists and pedestrians.
- September 2019 - construction starts.
- 28 September 2019 - station closed.
- 28 September to 14 October 2019 - station footbridge unavailable.
- Early 2021 - station re-opens.
- Second quarter 2021 - new Puhinui Station Interchange fully complete.
The Puhinui Station Interchange will cost $60M. This upgrade is partly funded by the Regional Fuel Tax (RFT).
- Multiple access options: escalators, stairs and large lifts to accommodate station users with luggage.
- Passenger drop-off zone, short-term parking bays, and 'kiss and ride' parking
- Shared path connection, cycle storage racks, and separated crossings adjacent to the station.
- A continued east-west crossing for pedestrians not using the railway station.
- Allowance for the future rapid transit overbridge across the rail line to provide a more direct connection with Puhinui Station Interchange as part of the Airport to Botany Rapid Transit programme.
The station design reflects the history of the area, working in partnership with Mana Whenua.
Image: Artist impression of Puhinui Station Interchange exterior.
Puhinui Station will be closed from late September 2019 to January 2021 to allow construction of the new interchange. There are considerable safety and accessibility risks with keeping the station open during construction, as well as an extended timeframe for completion.
- The Puhinui loop bus is a free all day bus service operating between Puhinui and Papatoetoe.
- The journey is approximately 10 to 15 minutes each way.
- No HOP card or cash ticket is required for this service.
Bus operating hours
Monday to Friday
|Every 10 minutes during peak||5:25am to 10am and 2pm to 8pm|
|Every 20 minutes off peak||10am to 2pm|
|Every 30 minutes||8pm to 11pm|
Saturday, Sunday and public holidays
|Every 20 minutes||6:15am to 7:35pm|
|Every 30 minutes||7:35pm to 11:05pm|
Bus stops to catch the 349 Puhinui loop bus
- The existing bus stop 6562 at 174 Puhinui Road.
- A new bus stop 2228 at 232 Puhinui Road (western side of Puhinui Station).
- Bus stop 6480 Stop A at Papatoetoe Station on Shirley Road.
349 Puhinui loop bus route map
Journey options during the closure
There will be changes to people's journeys during the Puhinui Station closure, please allow for extra travel time. AT fare zones will be changed to ensure no extra travel costs occur during the station closure.
The Journey Planner has been updated to reflect alternative routes.
Travelling to/from Puhinui
- When travelling to Puhinui, catch Southern or Eastern Line train services to Papatoetoe, then catch the 349 Puhinui loop bus to Puhinui.
- When travelling from Puhinui, catch the 349 Puhinui loop bus to Papatoetoe, then transfer to Southern or Eastern Line train services.
Travelling from Papakura to Manukau (via Eastern Line)
- Catch the train to Papatoetoe and transfer to the Eastern Line to Manukau.
- Catch the train to Homai and transfer to:
- the 365 bus (from Homai Interchange) to Manukau,
- or the 361 bus (from stop 2171 opposite 98 Browns Road) to Manukau.
- Catch the train to Manurewa and transfer to the 33 or 362 bus to Manukau.
Travelling from Manukau towards Papakura (via Southern Line)
- Catch the 365 bus to Homai Interchange, or the 361 bus to Browns Road (stop 2178 at 96 Browns Road, Homai) and transfer to the train to Papakura.
- Catch the train to Papatoetoe and transfer to the train to Papakura.
- Catch the 33 or 362 bus to Manurewa and transfer to the train to Papakura.
Travelling to/from Manukau via Southern Line stations (Parnell, Newmarket, Remuera, Greenlane, Ellerslie and Penrose)
- When travelling to Manukau, catch the Southern Line train to either Otahuhu, Middlemore or Papatoetoe and transfer to a Eastern Line train to Manukau.
- When travelling from Manukau, catch the Eastern Line train to either Papatoetoe, Middlemore or Otahuhu and transfer to a Southern Line train.
For more information on this project