Gills Road footbridge & footpath improvements Gills Road footbridge & footpath improvements
After building a new footbridge and 350 metres of footpath up Gills Road in 2018, Auckland Transport (AT) will add an additional 400 metres of new and upgraded footpaths to make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists to access Albany Village shops and businesses.
Project status: Construction - Stage 2
Project zone: North
There has been significant residential development that has occurred in the areas surrounding Gills Road in recent years, with further growth expected to occur. As a result, there is an increase in pedestrian movements along Gills Road, connecting to Albany Village.
AT received a number of concerns from local residents and the Upper Harbour Local Board (UHLB) regarding pedestrian safety.
To improve pedestrian accessibility and safety on Gills Road, AT are constructing a footpath and a footbridge which extends between 15 Gills Road and the new Gills Road Link.
- 30 April 2018 - completion date for Stage 1 - Gills Road footbridge.
- November 2021 - start date for Stage 2 - Gills Road foothpath.
Stage 1: Construction of the Gills Road footbridge
Construction of the footbridge was completed in early 2018.
Stage 2: Construction of Gills Road foothpath
The first sections of footpath and boardwalk were completed in early 2018. Construction of the remainder of Stage 2 of this project will start in November 2021. The works will consist of:
- Building retaining walls – this is due to the narrow road corridor. We will be cutting into the northern side of the carriageway to allow for the new footpath to be built
- Constructing a new 1.8 metre wide footpath – alongside the retaining wall to connect to the existing footpath near Living Stream Road
- Replacing sections of the existing footpath – we are widening the footpaths on either side of Living Stream Road intersection to 1.8 metres to improve safety
- Adding raised pedestrian crossings – these will give pedestrians safe crossing locations (aligned with Vision Zero). The raised crossings will be located at the bus stop near 71 Gills Road and at the southern end of the new footpath (see map below)
Map of work area
- View the Gills Road Footbridge drawings (PDF 673KB, 9 pages).
- View the Gills Road Footpath drawings (PDF 4.85MB, 17 pages).
What to expect during construction
- As a live construction site, the speed limit will temporarily be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Full closure may be expected during excavation. Dates and times will be advised before commencement of works.
- Traffic controllers will be on site to assist vehicles during work hours.
- Traffic delays can be expected. Please approach the work site with care.
- Pedestrian and driveway access will be maintained.