Auckland Transport (AT) is building a new footbridge and connecting footpaths to the existing Gills Road bridge (near 20 Gills Road) to make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists to access Albany Village shops and businesses.
Project status: Construction - Stage 1
Project zone: North
There has been significant residential development that has occurred in the areas surrounding Gills Road in recent years, with further growth expected to occur. As a result, there is an increase in pedestrian movements along Gills Road, connecting up to Albany Village.
AT received a number of concerns from local residents and the Upper Harbour Local Board (UHLB) regarding pedestrian safety.
To improve pedestrian accessibility and safety on Gills Road, AT are constructing a footpath and a footbridge which extends between 15 Gills Road and the new Gills Road Link.
- 30 April 2018 - completion date for Stage 1 - Gills Road footbridge.
- 31 July 2018 - completion date for Stage 2 - Gills Road foothpath.
Stage 1: Construction of the Gills Road footbridge
Construction of the footbridge is currently underway and scheduled to be completed by 30 April 2018.
Stage 2: Construction of Gills Road foothpath
Construction of the footpath consisting of a 1.5m concrete footpath with boardwalks and retaining walls.
Construction works are scheduled to commence in April 2018 and be completed by July 2018.
- View the Gills Road Footbridge drawings (PDF 673KB, 9 pages).
- View the Gills Road Footpath drawings (PDF 4.85MB, 17 pages).
- View the proposed Gills Road overall site plan (PDF 1.48MB).
What to expect during construction
- As a live construction site, the speed limit will temporarily be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Traffic controllers will be on site to assist vehicles during work hours.
- Traffic delays can be expected. Please approach the work site with care.
- Pedestrian and driveway access will be maintained.