Improvements being made in the Sylvia Park area will speed up bus journey times by creating a new route that avoids the more congested Mt Wellington Highway’s intersections. A new bus station will be built and a new shared cycle/walking path will be created on Mt Wellington Highway.
Sylvia Park is located on the southern edge of the AMETI transport scheme, along Mt Wellington Highway. The new Sylvia Park bus station and route improvements are part of the developments earmarked to be delivered by AMETI.
Features and benefits
- A new bus station adjacent to the existing Sylvia Park rail station, replacing the current 4-berth bus station.
- The new bus station will provide convenient, direct transfers and have glass-covered seating areas.
- A new dedicated busway link from the intersection at Sylvia Park Road and Mt Wellington Highway to create a bus route that avoids the more congested parts of Mt Wellington Highway.
- A new shared cycle path for cyclists and pedestrians along Mt Wellington Highway. This will pass under the Southern Motorway and provide new connectivity between Sylvia Park and Pacific Rise.
- A new footpath beside the bus lane. This will provide a direct route from the south to the shopping centre and public transport amenities.