As part of a wider plan to improve road safety and traffic flow, we are proposing changes to the intersections of Cascades Road and Botany Road as well as Millhouse Drive and Botany Road.
- Find out about the proposed work for the Botany Road intersections.
- Get specific details about the proposed work for the Botany Road intersections:
Project status: Consultation closed on 17 August 2018.
Project zone: East.
We recently undertook a study at these intersections which showed heavy traffic during peak travel times. The congestion is causing safety risks and significant delays for southbound and northbound traffic on Botany Road.
We also found that it is difficult for pedestrians to cross Botany Road onto Cascades Road because there is no controlled pedestrian crossing.
In order to alleviate traffic congestion and improve safety for road users and pedestrians, our roading experts propose the introduction of a number of proven measures, including:
- widening roads to create new traffic lanes,
- improving traffic signals,
- installing a signalised pedestrian crossing,
- creating a raised zebra crossing,
- and installing high friction surfacing.
- Smoother traffic flows along the corridor.
- Improved traffic efficiency and safety.
- Improved safety for pedestrians.
- 25 July 2018 - consultation opens.
- 17 August 2018 - consultation closes.
- Mid-late 2019 - proposed start of construction. The proposed work will take approximately 3 months to complete.
The proposed work involves upgrades at two intersections on Botany Road.
- Installing signalised double left turn lanes from Botany Road into Cascades Road.
- Installing a signalised pedestrian crossing across double left turn lanes.
- Installing high friction surfaces on the double left turn lanes.
- Reconstructing the traffic island on Cascades Road.
- Building out the kerb on the corner of the intersection outside Golflands Motel.
- Signalising the left turn lane from Cascades Road into Botany Road by squaring up the corner.
- Creating double westbound lanes on Cascades Road up to the Aviemore Drive roundabout.
- Modifying Golflands Motel's driveways.
- Widening the road at the intersection of Millhouse Drive and Botany Road.
- Installing a dedicated left turn lane from Botany Road into Millhouse Drive.
- Installing an additional right turn lane on Millhouse Drive.
- Installing a raised zebra crossing on the left turn slip lane on Millhouse Drive to Botany Road.
- Installing double exit lanes at the Pakuranga Golf Club (opposite Millhouse Drive).
- Modifying the traffic island.
These changes have been designed with the local community in mind.
Thank you to those who have provided feedback about the proposed upgrades. Feedback closed on Friday 17 August 2018.
After feedback closes
We will take all feedback into consideration. A report on the feedback received (with any changes to the proposal as a result) will be published online. If you have provided your contact details when submitting feedback, we will notify you when the report is available and when the works will commence.