Completing the Church Street / Victoria Street roundabout
Liveable Streets, on behalf of Auckland Transport, will soon complete the construction of the roundabout at the Church Street and Victoria Street intersection in Onehunga.
The work requires the intersection to be closed as described below. Two additional days may be required to complete the work if weather prevents it taking place during this time.
There will be a period of approximately 6 days when no visible works will occur on the site while the concrete sets.
- Friday, 7 February – a full closure of the intersection during the day, 7am to 7pm.
- Saturday, 8 February to Saturday, 15 February – northern side closed with no access to Victoria St from this section of Church Street.
- Sunday, 16 February – full closure of the intersection during the day, 7am to 7pm.
- Monday, 17 February – night time closure for line marking.
The section of road shown in the map on the following page will be entirely closed to traffic during the days identified as full closures.
Detours will be in place to help traffic move around the road closure.
- On-street parking will not be available within the construction area. Vehicles parked within the works area may be towed to a nearby area.
- Residents will always be able to access their properties. If this changes, prior notification will be provided.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained throughout.
- Some bus stops will be closed during the closure period. Bus services affected are 298, 670 and 743. Find your nearest bus stop for your service.
Full closure works area:
31 October 2019 – work commenced.
The closure on the northern side of the intersection was going to be from 4 to 10 November 2019. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, the partial closure was extended to 20 November 2019.
Originally, there were going to be two closures of the southern side of the intersection, on 16 to 17 and 23 to 24 November 2019. In the end, this partial closure was extended from 21 November to 8 December 2019.
The full closure of the intersection has been extended from 9 days to approximately 19 days, starting 27 December 2019.
During the full closure, detours will be in place but access to properties around the intersection will be maintained. No parking will be maintained on detour routes to allow vehicles using the route to travel safely.
This closure will save 20 weeks’ disruption.
The project has been brought forward so that the work on this high-risk intersection is completed as soon as possible. The timeline has been lengthened due to challenging ground conditions and service locations discovered during the preparation works.
The full closure of the intersection has been lengthened due to curing times needed for the concrete portion of works.
Enabling works have been completed, which include new footpaths, pram crossings, kerb realignment, service covers and service preparations. Completing these works has prepared the site for the remaining works. This includes the excavation of the intersection, pavement rehabilitation, and the installation of the raised roundabout and pedestrian crossings. New streetlights, line markings and high friction surfacing are also due to be installed during the closure over the Christmas break, ready for the intersection to open in 2020.