The City Rail Link (CRL) is an underground rail line linking Britomart and the city centre with the existing western line near Mt Eden.
Project status: Construction
Project zone: Central
- The City Rail Link is the top transport priority for Auckland.
- The CRL will extend Auckland’s passenger rail system past Britomart to connect to the existing regional rail network at Mt Eden.
- Britomart will become a through station with new stations near Aotea Square and Karangahape Road, and a redeveloped station at Mount Eden.
- The CRL will use twin 3.4km long tunnels up to 42 metres below the city centre streets.
- It’s estimated to take 5-and-a-half years to build.
- More frequent trains with more direct services to the city centre.
- Allow 30,000 people an hour in peak.
- Allow on average better than a train every 10 minutes at peak for most Auckland stations.
- Better integration across all transport types.
- More shared space and a people-friendly city.
Find out more about the benefits of the CRL.
Costs and funding
(As identified in Auckland Council Long Term Plan, discussions are continuing with central government).
The project is funded by Auckland Council and the government.
- Planning hearing concluded - Notice of Requirement conditions have been confirmed and finalised by the Environment Court.
- All surface-level properties purchased.
- Sub-surface property purchases will start in late 2016.
- The Principal Technical Advisor is now working on the reference design.
- Construction started in June 2016.
Find out where the City Rail Link will go.
Find out about the design concepts for the CRL stations and surrounds.
The CRL will be designed, constructed and operated to the highest sustainability standards.
AT seeks input from construction-consulting industries into the development of its procurement strategy for the CRL main works.
Auckland will grow by more than 700,000 people in the next 30 years and the CRL, coupled with bus improvements, is the only way to keep the city moving.
Current public transport will be unable to cater for this growth, hindering economic development. The CRL will provide opportunities for development, particularly around the stations.
The CRL is key to delivering the Auckland Plan, the City Centre Master Plan, the Long Term Plan and the Integrated Transport Programme.
- Two new underground stations at Aotea (11m depth) and Karangahape Road (33m), and a redeveloped Mount Eden Station.
- Cut and cover construction along Albert Street and at Eden Terrace.
- Majority of construction will be done with a 7.5 meter tunnel boring machine (about half the size of Waterview TBM)
- About 1 million cubic metres of soil - more than Waterview because of station excavations.
- Approximately 90 subterranean properties affected by tunnels.
More information on this project
Phone: (09) 355 3553.
Mail: City Rail Link, Private Bag 92250, Auckland 1142.
Participation in the market sounding process is not linked to future procurement processes and a transparent approach will be taken to the availability of information.