Auckland Transport is improving cycling facilities along Don Buck Road and Red Hills Road. This includes the installation of on-road cycle lanes and off-road shared walking and cycling paths
Project Status: Complete
Project Zone: West
The work is required to improve safety for cyclists along the route (particularly with schools in the area), and to implement the Auckland Regional Cycle Network.
- This will extend the existing cycleway from Triangle Road and Don Buck Road and link into additional proposed future improvements for Red Hills Road and Don Buck Road (see map below).
- The project includes the installation of on-road cycle lanes and off-road shared walking and cycling paths.
- Off-road shared walking and cycling paths allow both cyclists and pedestrians to legally use the same footpath.
- On-road cycle lanes provide a dedicated space for cyclists and are typically 1.5m wide. It is illegal for motor vehicles to drive or park within these lanes at any time.
- These improvements require the removal of 15 on-street parking spaces from the western side of Don Buck Road between Triangle Road and Red Hills Road.
The project will extend the existing cycleway and link into additional proposed future improvements, helping to create a safer network of cycling routes which is particularly important with schools in the area.
- Construction of a 3m wide shared off-road walking and cycling path on the east side of Don Buck Road between Triangle Road and Cherry Tree Place (approximately 430m long).
- Construction of a 3m wide shared off-road walking and cycling path on alternating sides of Red Hills Road from the Don Buck Road roundabout to the Massey Primary School entrance on Red Hills Road (approximately 300m long).
- Installation of a 1.5m wide on-road cycle lane in both directions along Don Buck Road between the Triangle Road and Red Hills Road roundabouts.
- Removal of 15 on-street parking spaces from the western side of Don Buck Road between Triangle Road and Red Hills Road. An on-site survey was undertaken to assess the demand for these parking spaces. It revealed that the maximum number of parking spaces in use at any one time was five. Triangle car park has sufficient spaces available to accommodate these vehicles.
See design plans for the Don Buck Road cycleway (JPG 244KB).
Stage 3 of the Don Buck Road and Red Hills Road cycleway facilities will be constructed during May, June and July 2015.
Consultation on the proposed improvements to cycling facilities on Don Buck Road and Red Hills Road closed 23 June 2014. Submissions were then considered by AT's engineers and planners.
The consultation was focused more on whether the design of the proposed cycling facilities could be improved to address any concerns that potential users of the roads may have rather than whether the project should go ahead, as the work is required to implement the Auckland Regional Cycle Network and improve safety for cyclists.