Quay Street will retain its function as a downtown transport hub, integrating different modes of transport and improving navigation between trains, buses and ferries.
Project status: Complete - last updated 6 January 2021
Project zone: Central
A traffic-calmed Quay Street will integrate different modes of transport and improve connections between trains, buses and ferries.
Caption: Artists impression of the new Lower Albert Street bus interchange.
A connected public transport network
A new interchange will be created, at Lower Albert Street. This terminal will function as a destination or starting point, or transfer between buses, ferries and trains. This upgrade is being delivered in partnership with the City Rail Link (CRL) project and Auckland Council’s streetscape programme.
The Lower Albert Street Bus Interchange will cater for North Shore buses on the western side, and Western buses on the eastern side. There will be 6 bus stops on the western side (northbound) and 5 bus stops on the eastern side (southbound)
The new interchange will feature:
- Bus accessibility – 160mm high Kassel Kerbs will be installed on both the Eastern and Western sides of the road to allow for buses to approach against the kerb
- Widened high quality footpaths
- New concrete carriageway
- Security - CCTV cameras covering all passenger waiting and boarding areas (directly linked to the Auckland Transport Operation Centre (ATOC)
- Improved lighting there will be 10 new street lights installed in Lower Albert Street
- Improved passenger information facilities – Modern digital information boards. Real time audio for arrival times will also be provided
- Signalised pedestrian crossing in line with Commercial Bay access way.
- Existing toilet facilities are currently on site for both passengers and drivers.
Progress update: December 2020
- The Lower Albert Street Bus Interchange is complete
- Street lights will be installed in early January and paving works will then be completed as part of the Quay Street Enhancements Programme
- New Lower Albert Street bus stop is now open for Birkenhead bus services to the North Shore, routes 95B, 95C, 95G, 97B, 97R and 97V
- The NX1 is currently operating from Customs Street and will return to Lower Albert Street in April 2021.