Auckland Transport (AT) will be creating six new berths on the west side of Queens Wharf.
Project status: Project status: Construction stage 1: mid-2019 to April 2021. NB: All berths will be in operation by mid-2021 - last updated 6 January 2021
Project zone: Central
Wahapu - Harbour
Creating six new berths on the west side of Queens Wharf is the first step towards a modern, consolidated ferry terminal for Auckland. Further development will occur post-2021.
Caption: Artists impression of the new berths on the West side of Queens Wharf.
The ferry terminal will be a world-class facility, suitable for Auckland’s growing transport needs. It will have improved accessibility and greater operational flexibility, which will help accommodate increased passenger numbers.
- 6 new wharfs will be built (Queens Wharf East).
- Pier 3 will be decommissioned.
- Pier 4 will be decommissioned as part of future developments after 2021.
Redevelopment of the ferry terminal will enable greater public access.
Progress update in the Ferry Basin: December 2020
- Construction of all new berths completed end-April 2021 & in operation by mid-2021
- Berths 5 and 6 have now been handed over and are operational
- The first and second canopies have been installed over berths 5 and 6 and 3 and 4 respectively on Queens Wharf
The first canopy as it was installed overnight over berths 5 & 6.
- Canopy three is due to be complete early 2021
- New terminal window glazing installation continues
- Terminal lighting and electrical works continue
- Pontoon balustrade installation continues.
Proposed access in 2021