Quay Street will become a revitalised waterfront place, with wider footpaths, easier navigation, new street furniture, more trees, and greater opportunity for business and events.
Project status: Construction early 2019 - late 2020
Project zone: Central
Whenua - Land
Quay Street is a popular and significant street in the city centre. It connects people to Tāmaki and Aotearoa through ferries, buses, trains and cruise liners. Quay street is a gateway to Auckland City and over the next 10 years, we are expecting an eight-fold increase in people using this space to get into and around the City Centre, highlighting its importance as a people focused place.
By retaining Quay Street’s function as a destination and reducing its use as a through road, we can create an attractive waterfront street that safely accommodates multiple modes of transport and enhances connections between the city centre and the waterfront.
Caption: Artists impression of the Quay Street enhancements looking East
Caption: Artists impression of the Quay Street enhancements looking West
A revitalised waterfront street will be created, with wider footpaths and easier navigation, designed for a 30km/h speed, with street furniture, trees, and opportunities for business and events.
We will achieve this by:
- Reducing four lanes of traffic to two, from Lower Albert Street to Commerce Street.
- Dedicated bus lanes between Lower Albert Street and Lower Hobson Street.
- Wider footpaths.
- Increasing space for events and trading opportunities.
- A cycleway separated from traffic.
- Simplifying navigation between buses, ferries and trains.
- Enhancing the natural environment.
How will Quay Street look once construction is complete
Between Lower Albert Street and Lower Hobson Street there will be one traffic lane in either direction, dedicated bus lanes in either direction and a bi-directional cycleway.
Between Commerce Street and Lower Albert Street there will be one traffic lane in either direction and a bi-directional cycleway
- Vehicle access through Quay Street will be restricted to just two general vehicle lanes, one each way, from 26th December 2018. This is a permanent change.
- There will also be short term closures and diversions in place from 27th December 2018 to 13th January 2018.
- Be aware that until motorists have adapted to this change there are likely to be delays in this area.
- Please plan ahead and consider alternative routes or means of commute.
- Access will remain open to ferries, businesses and carpark buildings in this area.
- The cycleway will remain open.
- Bus services will continue but bus stops may be temporarily shifted at times.
- We encourage motorists to avoid using Quay St as a thoroughfare if your end destination is in North,
- West or East Auckland. See the map below for alternative route options: