To reduce congestion, Auckland Transport (AT) will install dynamic lanes on Redoubt Road in Manukau, between the Southern Motorway offramp and Hollyford Drive.
Project status: Construction
Project zone: South
On weekday afternoons, most vehicles on Redoubt Road are heading away from Manukau. They have to merge into one lane at the start of Redoubt Road, near the motorway offramp. This can cause significant delays.
Dynamic lanes will change the direction of the centre lane between 3:30pm and 7pm on weekdays. Removing that pinch point and allowing traffic to flow.
AT will also make safety improvements at three road crossings along the route, including:
- a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights across Redoubt Road (near Diorella Drive);
- a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights on the slip lane going from Redoubt Road to Hollyford Drive;
- safety improvements for those crossing Diorella Drive (near Redoubt Road).
- February to August 2019 - Investigation and design.
- August to October 2019 - Public communications.
- October 2019 to June 2020 - Pre-construction work.
- May to June 2020 - Consultation on design changes.
- July 2020 to Late 2020 - Main construction period.
- Late 2020 - Dynamic lanes to begin operating.
How dynamic lanes will work on Redoubt Road
On weekdays before 3:30pm the lanes will stay the same as they are now.
At 3:30pm the centre lane will change to flow away from Manukau.
At 7pm the centre lane will go back to its normal direction.
What to expect during construction
The main construction period will run between July 2020 and late 2020.
- Construction will not affect peak hour traffic.
- Night works with partial lane closures will be required.
- A limited number of night time full lane closures will be required with residents vehicle access only.
AT will be installing:
- a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights across Redoubt Road (near Diorella Drive).
- a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights on the slip lane going from Redoubt Road to Hollyford Drive
- safety improvements for those crossing Diorella Drive (near Redoubt Road)
- new, no stopping at all times parking restrictions on Diorella Drive to ensure safe visibility for pedestrians and to allow access to the new bus stop
- changes to bus stop locations (Redoubt Road and Diorella Drive)
- 4 cantilever gantries (overhead signs across the road) and associated roadside cabinets.
We held a public drop in day at Manukau Library on Saturday 14 September, 2019.
We carried out public consultation from 20 May 2020 to 3 June 2020 and received 35 submissions.
We consulted on several aspects of the project including: safer road crossings, bus stop changes, gantry locations, and no stopping at all times lines
Most people who submitted feedback were supportive of the project.
Following this feedback, a review took place and we made the below changes to the design:
- Relocated the crossing facility on Diorella Drive, closer to Redoubt Road to better align with the desired path of pedestrians
- Trees on Diorella Drive will not be removed. These will be trimmed instead to ensure visibility for pedestrians on Diorella Drive
- Upgrade street lighting at the corner of Diorella Drive and Redoubt Road.
*We will still begin operating the dynamic lanes from 3:30pm to 7pm which analysis of traffic data showed is the busiest period. We will review whether this time is appropriate once the dynamic lanes are in operation. We have the flexibility to change if required.
Comment on Redoubt Road dynamic lanes
Send your comments to the project team.
* Privacy: Providing your personal details is optional. Auckland Transport recognises privacy is an important matter to everyone. You can be assured any information you share with us will be treated with strict confidence, and will only be used for the purpose of this project.