To reduce congestion, Auckland Transport (AT) will install dynamic lanes on a 350-metre section of Redoubt Road in Manukau, between the Southern Motorway offramp and Hollyford Drive.
Project status: Notify
Project zone: South
On weekday afternoons, most vehicles on Redoubt Road are heading away from Manukau. They have to merge into one lane at the start of Redoubt Road, near the motorway offramp. This can cause significant delays.
Dynamic lanes will change the direction of the centre lane between 4pm and 7pm on weekdays. Removing that pinch point and allowing traffic to flow.
- February to August 2019 - Investigation and design work
- August to October 2019 - Public communications
- October 2019 - November 2019 - Pre-construction work
- May to June 2020 - Consultation on design changes
- July 2020 - Main construction period to begin
- September 2020 - Dynamic lanes to begin operating.
How dynamic lanes will work on Redoubt Road
On weekdays before 4pm the lanes will stay the same as they are now.
At 4pm the centre lane will change to flow away from Manukau.
At 7pm the centre lane will go back to its normal direction.
What to expect during construction
The main construction period will run between July 2020 and September 2020
- Construction will not affect peak hour traffic.
- Night works with partial lane closures will be required.
- A limited number of night time full lane closures will be required with residents vehicle access only.
AT will be installing:
- 2 gantries (overhead signs across the full width of the road)
- 1 cantilever mast arm sign at each end
- signalised mid-block pedestrian crossing
- small electronic messaging signs
- on road studs that light up (cats eyes)
- the 4pm to 6pm clearway on the southern kerb of Redoubt Road will be changed to operate from 3pm to 8pm.
We held a public drop in day at Manukau Library on Saturday 14 September, 2019.
We will keep you updated with more opportunities for the public to talk to the project team in early 2020.
Comment on Redoubt Road dynamic lanes
Send your comments to the project team.
* Privacy: Providing your personal details is optional. Auckland Transport recognises privacy is an important matter to everyone. You can be assured any information you share with us will be treated with strict confidence, and will only be used for the purpose of this project.