East West Connections is a programme to improve public transport, walking and cycling options, commuter travel, and freight efficiency in the area between Onehunga, East Tamaki, and Auckland Airport.
Project status: Investigation/Construction
Project zone: South
The area between Onehunga, East Tamaki, and Auckland Airport is the engine room of New Zealand’s industrial and manufacturing economy and home to a number of our most vibrant communities. The area employs over 130,000 people and generates more than $10 billion a year in GDP (2nd largest area in Auckland behind the CBD).
Overview map of the
The East West Connections programme has 2 priority projects that are currently underway:
- Improving freight connections, walking and cycling, and bus reliability for Onehunga-Penrose.
- Improving transport options between Māngere, Ōtāhuhu, and Sylvia Park (Southern Connections).
Improving travel times and reliability between the Onehunga-Penrose industrial area and State Highways 1 and 20.
Better transport options between South Auckland town centres, including Mangere, Ōtāhuhu, and Sylvia Park.
- Improved travel times and travel-time reliability between the Onehunga-Penrose industrial area and State Highway 1 and the Southwestern Motorway (SH20).
- Better safety and accessibility for cycling and walking between Mangere Bridge, Onehunga, and Sylvia Park.
- Improved journey-time reliability for buses between SH20 and Onehunga town centre.
East West Connections is a joint programme between the NZ Transport Agency and Auckland Transport (AT).
Auckland’s transport network not only supports the daily movement of people through the city, it provides a vital link in the distribution of goods around New Zealand. Over half of the country’s freight movements take place across the upper North Island.
Total freight volumes are set to double over the next 20 years, and Auckland’s population is expected to have passed the two million mark before then. Auckland needs a strong transport network, to ensure people and goods can get to where they need to go effectively and reliably.
For more information on this project
To serve bus passengers in the town centre, new bus stops will be created on either side of Avenue Road, to allow 4 bus operations in each direction.