We are proposing some changes to Atkinson Avenue in Otahuhu to make the road network safer and more accessible for public transport, cyclists and pedestrians while balancing the need for cars and freight vehicles.
Consultation status: closes 14 March 2017
We propose several improvements along Atkinson Avenue, these include:
- Installing north-bound and south-bound bus lanes on Atkinson Avenue and Mt Wellington Highway between King Street and Portage Road from
7am- 10amand 4pm- 7pm.
- Installing a new signalised crossing outside 31 Atkinson Avenue.
- Improving the bus stop spacing and locations, bringing them closer to pedestrian crossings.
Road marking and signage will be updated to reflect these changes.
The proposed improvements will:
- Increase the quality of public transport in the area to create an attractive, viable alternative to private vehicles.
- Improve the reliability of journey times for buses, trucks and cars carrying three or more people.
- Improve access for pedestrians and cyclists with a connection to the new Otahuhu Station.
- Encourage more people - including school children - to walk and cycle around the area.
During February and March 2017 we will seek public feedback before confirming the final design.
We expect to start work around April - May 2017.
Have your say
Tell us what you think of the proposed changes along Atkinson Avenue. Feedback is open until 14 March 2017