Auckland Transport (AT) is developing better transport options between town centres in South Auckland, including Mangere, Ōtāhuhu, and Sylvia Park.
Southern Connections is a programme of improvements that includes new bus and transit lanes, bus stops, and walking and cycling facilities.
The upgrades are being delivered in stages:
New and upgraded bus, walking, and cycling facilities on Walmsley Rd, Atkinson Ave, Mangere Rd, and Avenue Rd.
New bus, walking, and cycling facilities on Mt Wellington Highway, Meadow St, Church St, and Avenue Rd.
Stage 3 will provide upgraded facilities for pedestrians, people on bikes, and public transport users along Massey and Māngere Roads.
Once the improvements are complete, they will provide those in the area with safe, reliable transport options to and from southern town centres, and facilities such as Middlemore Hospital and Auckland Airport.
Overall, the projects will deliver improvements to:
- Travel times and journey time reliability for buses.
- Safety and accessibility for cycling and walking.
- Safety and accessibility for public transport users.
- Stage 1: Under construction/completed.
- Stage 2: Consultation closed 26 November 2017.
- Stage 3: Planned for 2019/2020 (pending approval and funding).
Currently, the route from Māngere to Ōtāhuhu and through to Sylvia Park has significant variances in travel time, due to traffic congestion and queuing.
Public feedback on improvements to public transport as part of the new network project identified there was significant variability in travel times for buses running along Massey Road, especially in the early afternoon. As a result, we identified improvements to future Frequent Network route 32.
Congestion also impacts other road users, including freight trucks, and the route lacks quality cycle facilities, pavements, and pedestrian crossings.
To provide safe, reliable transport options between Māngere, Ōtāhuhu and Sylvia Park, we propose:
- Bus priority along some sections of the route.
- Cycling and walking improvements along the majority of the route, including cycleways, shared paths, and improved pedestrian crossings.
- Transit lanes for trucks, buses and vehicles with multiple passengers on Walmsley Road and parts of Massey Road.
Map of proposed changes
Street cross sections
Massey Road near Gray Avenue
Massey Road near Mangere East Library
Massey Road near Pukaki Road
Massey Road near Robertson Road
Mt Wellington Highway
For more information on this project