In partnership with the Waitematā Local Board, Auckland Transport (AT) made safety improvements around Fanshawe Street and Daldy Street. These changes make it easier and safer for pedestrians and bus users to move through the area and connect with public transport.
Project status: Completed.
Project zone: Central.
- Moving the existing push-button pedestrian crossing on Fanshawe Street closer to the intersection with Daldy Street.
- A new push-button pedestrian crossing for Daldy Street.
- Red LED road studs on Fanshawe Street that switch on whenever the intersection traffic lights are red, as a reminder to drivers.
- Lengthening the Fanshawe Street bus stop (by Victoria Park) by around 15 metres. The shelters will be extended and repositioned to the back of the footpath.
- A new entrance into Victoria Park from the bus stop that links with the park’s existing paths. The entrance will be designed in collaboration with local iwi.
Image: An artist's impression of the new bus shelters on Fanshawe Street.
- A more direct connection between Victoria Park, the bus stop, and Wynyard Quarter.
- Safer and easier to cross Daldy Street.
- Reduced red light running, creating a safer intersection.
- Increased footpath area and shelter available to waiting passengers and passing pedestrians.
Plan of changes for Fanshawe Street and Daldy Street
Construction began on 16 May 2016 and was completed in July 2016.