Federal Street upgrade Federal Street upgrade
Auckland Transport (AT) is working with Auckland Council to upgrade Federal Street to create a pedestrian-friendly shared space, where people can work and play.
For more information on the project, including benefits, stages, concept images and next steps, please visit the Auckland Council website project page.
Public feedback report - Stage 2 summary
AT and Auckland Council sought your feedback on Stage 2 of the proposed Federal Street upgrade to create a pedestrian-friendly shared space, where people can work and play. We consulted on this proposal from 20 November to 11 December 2017 and received 81 submissions.
Download the Federal St upgrade stage 2 public feedback report (PDF 1.6MB)
Key feedback themes
The key themes that came through from your feedback canvassed a range of design, social and parking related suggestions or concerns, including:
- Strong support for the proposed design overall expressed by 75% of all submitters (61 respondents).
Concerns about the proposed removal of 22 car park spaces and the impact it might have on local residents, their visitors, or tradespeople (14 respondents).
- Interest in the trees and plantings for this space, with suggestions on the varieties and placement of these plantings to make it attractive and people-centric (12 respondents).
- Concerns regarding an upgrade to this space without addressing the issues of loitering and public drinking in the area, which could detract from its appeal to the public (12 respondents).
- Traffic calming suggestions to ensure the provision of a safer shared space environment for all people, using all modes of transport (9 respondents).
- Design suggestions to prevent rough sleeping in this area, to make it feel safer and more attractive to pass through at any time of the day (9 respondents).
- Concerns about the safety of the connections with Mayoral Drive for people moving to Federal Street on foot or by bike (8 respondents).
- Seating suggestions to both encourage social behaviour and discourage anti-social behaviour in this area (8 respondents).
- General suggestions about the overall proposed design to make the space attractive and attuned to the heritage features of surrounding buildings and landmarks (8 respondents).
- Suggestions to improve security in the area, to make the shared space more welcoming to the public and tourists at all times, particularly at night (7 respondents).
The feedback we received has provided very useful information and has allowed us to improve the proposal.
Visit the Auckland Council website for information on the next steps for the Federal Street upgrade.