Auckland Transport (AT) in partnership with the Auckland Design Office is improving pedestrian and cycling facilities along Federal Street, between Victoria Street and Fanshawe Street. The facilities include a southbound cycle lane, paint build-outs, road marking, and wayfinding signage.
The facilities are temporary, while a larger Federal Street upgrade project is underway, and use approaches that are relatively low-cost and quick to install.
Project status: Implementation.
Project zone: Central.
The improvements to Federal Street include:
- A protected, southbound (up Federal Street) ‘contra-flow’ cycle lane.
- Improved pedestrian facilities in the lower section of Federal Street through upgraded footpath surfacing, road marking and signage.
- We are also planning to add a pedestrian crossing on Wyndham Street; the exact location of the crossing is yet to be determined.
- Painted polka dots along sections of the road to create a slower, safer environment for pedestrians and bike riders.
Given Federal Street’s relatively low traffic speeds and volume, people cycling northbound can do so in the general traffic lane, guided by “sharrows” (road markings designed to guide cyclists and alert motorists to their presence).
- Provides an alternative route to Hobson, Albert, and Queen Streets for people walking and cycling.
- Provides a key link in the city centre cycle network for people using the existing Nelson Street, and the future Victoria Street cycleways.
- Provides better connectivity for commuters coming from western and inner city suburbs and for city centre residents.
- Contra-flow cycle lane on Federal Street will allow cyclists to travel in the opposite direction to traffic.
Image: Artist's impression of the cycleway and polka dots on Federal Street.
Maps and plans
- See a map of the Federal Street upgrades and routes in the City Centre Cycle Network (PDF 164KB)
- View detailed plans of the upgrades between Swanson and Fanshawe Streets (PDF 110KB)
- View detailed plans of the upgrades between Victoria and Wyndham Streets (PDF 115KB)
Construction of the interim improvements starts early March 2018 and is expected to be complete by late March 2018.
There is a private development underway on the corner of Federal Street and Victoria Street West, opposite SkyCity. This is expected to be complete April 2018, after which we will complete our facilities in this section of Federal Street.
Wayfinding signage will be installed as an interim measure, to guide users through to the SkyCity section of Federal Street.
Following construction - between April and May 2018 - we will seek public feedback on the new facilities.
Based on the feedback we receive, we will make changes to improve the safety of the design (the improvements are simple and quick to install, so changes will be relatively easy to implement).
This is an approach used successfully in cities such as New York and Melbourne.
Your feedback will also provide us with an opportunity to better understand preferences for separated cycle lanes and shared-space zones, which will inform future city-centre development projects.
We will also measure cycle numbers and facility performance.
Wider changes to Federal Street
Auckland Council has proposed laneway circuits through commercial areas in the city centre. The laneways are routes with good pedestrian access and a mix of urban design, retail, and restaurants.
A proposed section of laneway from Aotea Square to the Waterfront includes the Federal Streetscape project, which will create a continuous shared space along the street and supersede the proposed walking and cycling improvements.
Consultation and construction of the Federal Street streetscape upgrade will take place in stages between 2018 and 2022.