Auckland Transport is making improvements to Gowing Drive in Meadowbank to increase road user visibility, reduce vehicle speeds and provide safer crossing points for pedestrians.
Project status: Consultation
Project zone: East
Auckland Transport wants to improve safety along Gowing Drive and Dorchester Street after a fatal crash in January 2018. This project is fully supported by the Orakei Local Board.
Proposed safety improvements along Gowing Drive will slow traffic, improve sight lines and provide a safer road crossing for pedestrians. We invite your feedback on these proposed safety measures.
- 20 November 2020 - consultation outcome confirmed.
- March 2021 - next funding round.
- Side islands and pedestrian facility - Four new side islands and one pedestrian facility are proposed, to reduce speed and enable safer crossing for bus customers and other people walking by reducing the width of the road they need to cross.
- "Slow" pavement markings – Slow markings on the road (coloured red) will alert drivers and help to reduce speeds.
- In addition to these safety measures, we will extend broken yellow lines by 9 metres each side of bus stops. This ensures visibility of stopped buses for drivers and adequate sight lines for people crossing the road. This work is being done to bring the markings up to current standards, we are not seeking feedback on this aspect of the project.
These safety improvements would mean a reduction in on-street car parking spaces:
- 21 for the bus stop broken yellow lines,
- 12 to enable the side islands,
- and 38 to improve sight lines around the pedestrian crossing and bends.
Image: Proposed "slow" markings and one pair of side islands.
Public feedback is now closed.
This project will now be added to our programme for funding allocation. The next funding round will be in March 2021.