Auckland Transport is making improvements to Gowing Drive in Meadowbank to increase road user visibility, reduce vehicle speeds and provide safer crossing points for pedestrians.
Project status: Consultation
Project zone: East
Auckland Transport wants to improve safety along Gowing Drive and Dorchester Street after a fatal crash in January 2018. This project is fully supported by the Orakei Local Board.
Proposed safety improvements along Gowing Drive will slow traffic, improve sight lines and provide a safer road crossing for pedestrians. We invite your feedback on these proposed safety measures.
- 31 October 2019 – Consultation opens.
- 2 November 2019 – Drop in information session.
- 29 November 2019 – Consultation period closes.
- Late November 2019 – Consultation outcome confirmed.
Proposed safety improvements
- Side islands and pedestrian facility - Four new side islands and one pedestrian facility are proposed, to reduce speed and enable safer crossing for bus customers and other people walking by reducing the width of the road they need to cross.
- "Slow" pavement markings – Slow markings on the road (coloured red) will alert drivers and help to reduce speeds.
- In addition to these safety measures, we will extend broken yellow lines by 9 metres each side of bus stops. This ensures visibility of stopped buses for drivers and adequate sight lines for people crossing the road. This work is being done to bring the markings up to current standards, we are not seeking feedback on this aspect of the project.
These safety improvements would mean a reduction in on-street car parking spaces:
- 21 for the bus stop broken yellow lines,
- 12 to enable the side islands,
- and 38 to improve sight lines around the pedestrian crossing and bends.
Image: Proposed "slow" markings and one pair of side islands.
Have your say
Share your feedback on the proposed improvements for Gowing Drive with us using the online feedback form. In late November, we expect to report back with a summary of what you told us and confirm next steps.
Due to delays to residents receiving the project information and feedback forms, we are extending the consultation period.
Public feedback now closes Friday, 29 November 2019.
Come talk to us
Come and meet the project team, discuss the project and provide feedback at a community drop-in session:
- Saturday 2 November, 11am and 2pm - Meadowbank Shopping Centre, 35 to 47 St Johns Road, St Johns.
Our project team will present plans, answer your questions and talk through concerns you may have. You can give feedback verbally or by completing a feedback form at the session.
What happens next
We will analyse all of the feedback and use it to help refine the proposal. We will prepare a report on the feedback received and any changes made to the proposal which will be published online. If you provided your contact details when giving us feedback, we will notify you when the report is available.
For more information on this project
Contact Auckland Transport