We have completed our assessment of the safety improvements trial at the Hill Street/Elizabeth Street intersection, Warkworth, held from November to December 2016.
We are now investigating interim safety improvements until we can complete a permanent upgrade of the intersection.
Project status: Implementation
Project area: North
The assessment of the trial indicated that the measures introduced were successful at improving traffic flow and reducing congestion at the Sandspit Road approach to the intersection, particularly in the morning peak.
From November to December 2016, we investigated:
- Traffic travelling from SH1 and Hill Street was not permitted to turn into Elizabeth Street.
- Drivers travelling from SH1 entered Warkworth town centre from Whitaker Road (south of Hill Street).
- Drivers exiting Hill Street turned right onto SH1 and entered Warkworth town centre via Whitaker Road.
- Drivers exited Elizabeth Street freely.
- Give way rules on Sandspit Road no longer applied.
The results of the trial were used to inform option investigation and we assessed a number of options for their benefits in improving pedestrian safety and traffic movements.
We are now investigating interim safety improvements until we can implement a permanent upgrade of the intersection.
The proposed improvements will be done in stages:
Stage 1 - Providing a safe pedestrian crossing facility on Sandspit Road at the State Highway 1/Hill Street intersection.
A traffic signal will be installed on the left slip lane from State Highway 1. This will reduce traffic conflict at the intersection and maintain full access to the town centre throughout the day.
This will enable us to install new pedestrian crossings at the intersection to provide both north-south and east-west connections and will provide a crossing on the slip lane and across Sandspit Road.
Stage 2 - Installation of a physical barrier at the entrance to Elizabeth Street.
A time-controlled barrier will be installed to control access to Elizabeth Street during the morning peak.
Entry would be closed off automatically using a barrier arm located on the splitter island between the left turn and through movements on Sandspit Road. VMS signage would also be used to advise motorists of changes.
Map showing the interim changes
Physical works are expected to start in the first quarter of 2018.
A separate investigation into a permanent solution for the Hill Street intersection is already underway.
Funding has been allocated to investigate design changes to the intersection. The work is expected to be carried out once the Puhoi to Warkworth motorway is open to traffic in 2021, which will provide a detour route to minimise construction disruption.
Send your comments to the project team.
* Privacy: Providing your personal details is optional. Auckland Transport recognises privacy is an important matter to everyone. You can be assured any information you share with us will be treated with strict confidence, and will only be used for the purpose of this project.