We have completed our assessment of the safety improvements trial at the Hill Street/Elizabeth Street intersection, Warkworth, held from November to December 2016.
We are now investigating interim safety improvements until we can complete a permanent upgrade of the intersection.
Project status: Implementation
Project area: North
The assessment of the trial indicated that the measures introduced were successful at improving traffic flow and reducing congestion at the Sandspit Road approach to the intersection, particularly in the morning peak.
From November to December 2016, we investigated:
- Traffic travelling from SH1 and Hill Street was not permitted to turn into Elizabeth Street.
- Drivers travelling from SH1 entered Warkworth town centre from Whitaker Road (south of Hill Street).
- Drivers exiting Hill Street turned right onto SH1 and entered Warkworth town centre via Whitaker Road.
- Drivers exited Elizabeth Street freely.
- Give way rules on Sandspit Road no longer applied.
The results of the trial were used to inform option investigation and we assessed a number of options for their benefits in improving pedestrian safety and traffic movements.
Investigation of interim safety improvements until we can implement a permanent upgrade of the intersection is complete.
The proposed improvements will be done in stages:
Stage 1 - Providing a safe pedestrian crossing facility on Sandspit Road at the State Highway 1/Hill Street intersection.
Whilst a traffic signal controlled pedestrian crossing was investigated and this demonstrated benefits for pedestrians and traffic flows for the Elizabeth intersection, during this stage an alternative concept was identified which has additional benefits in slowing traffic on the sip roads onto the local roads. The preferred design approach is:
- Raised tables with pedestrian facilities on the southern slip road (to Sandspit Road) and the Northern slip road (to Hill Street).
- Pedestrian facility across Sandspit Road at the intersection, parallel to SH1.
This will provide a safe crossing facility for pedestrians to access the town centre, across SH1 and to the school on Hill Street.
Map showing the interim changes
Minor improvements will also be progressed including CCTV monitoring of the Elizabeth Street intersection and the intersection of Sandspit and Matakana Roads, minor changes to islands and kerb lines.
Stage 2 - Installation of a physical barrier at the entrance to Elizabeth Street will not be progressed at this stage.
Physical works are expected to start in 2018.