Intersection upgrade on Helvetia Road and Princes Street, Pukekohe Intersection upgrade on Helvetia Road and Princes Street, Pukekohe
Auckland Transport (AT) is working alongside communities in Pukekohe to make safety changes to roads outside Pukekohe Town Square and around the neighbouring schools in order to improve accessibility and safety for pedestrians.
Project status: Construction
Project zone: South
The aim of the project is to improve safety at the intersection of Helvetia Road and Princes Street by reducing vehicle speeds, increasing driver awareness, and providing enhanced pedestrian facilities.
Pedestrian surveys have demonstrated there is a need for these improvements to be undertaken. Auckland Transport is committed to making our roads safer for all users, including the many pedestrians, including school children, that regularly use them.
We expect that the safety improvements will address existing crash patterns and will also accommodate increased future traffic demand at this location.
This work will happen between June and September 2020, but we will let you know if there are any changes or delays.
In May 2020, Auckland Transport and our contractors, Fulton Hogan, started work that will make the intersection of Helvetia Road and Princes Street, in Pukekohe, safer for all.
- A roundabout, which is mountable along its outer perimeter, that can better manage the movement of motor vehicles.
- Pedestrian refuge islands on all legs, which means making changes to existing pram crossings and the installation of tactile pavers.
- Extending the broken yellow lines on Princes Street and around the intersection to improve visibility.
- Changing kerb lines, road markings and signage, and improving footpaths and lighting.
- Undertaking minor tree trimming and tree removal, as shown in the drawing.
Download the drawing of the intersection and read more about the consultation.
- Stage 1 is complete. It included western side of the intersection.
- Stage 2 starts in early July 2020 and finishes in late July. The eastern side of the intersection will be closed throughout this stage of the project. A detour will be in place.
- Stage 3 starts in late July and finishes in early August. There will be a full road closure over one weekend and one or two days either side of that weekend. A detour will be in place.
- Stage 4 starts in early August to mid-August. There will be a partial closure of the intersection with temporary traffic signals in place to manage traffic.
- Stage 5 starts in mid-August and finishes in late-August. There will be a full road closure over one weekend and one or two days either side and a detour will be in place.
Fulton Hogan will send notices to affected residents 48-hours prior to construction starting. Maps of each stage of the project and the detour map can be accessed below.
Download the map of stages of work for this project (PDF 674KB)
- All existing traffic movements will be maintained where possible, and a safe footpath will be available for pedestrians at all times.
- Generally, the hours of work are 7am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. Some work may need to happen outside these hours and some night work may occur. We will communicate this work in advance and have a noise management plan in place to ensure disruption and inconvenience is minimised, as much as possible.
- As the intersection will be a live construction site, traffic delays can be expected.
- Detours will be in place, as necessary.
Public consultation occurred in November 2018. Find out more about the consultation.